I Knew it!!!

bluedraco

i knew this would happen to me!

only a month or so ago i got my klipsch 4.1...i'm here in australia and so i had to wait a while to get them...i read on this board about all the people having defective preamps - well, just my luck:

i've been using them ok since i got them and just today, when i turned my computer on and started playing music, there was like NO BASS WHATSOEVER...other sounds (midrange and treble) seem ok, but now my bass is dead :-((((

i had a gut feeling from the start i would get a defective set, and i now i have to return them and decide whether or not i should get my money back...

ok, i have done a bit of testing

i plugged my headphones into both the headphone socket on the pre-amp unit AND the sound card normal output (front) and got a nice bassy sound out of them...i don't have a cd-player or whatever to test with, so from what i can tell, it's definitely the speakers...i'll have to ring up tomorrow (monday) from work (damn it) and ask them about taking it in for a refund...maybe the 5.1s don't have this sort of problem, or maybe klipsch need to improve their quality control a lot...my rating for these speakers has dropped from the 5/5 i initally gave it (excellent sound, bass, etc) to like 3/5 now as quality of the speakers (such as not having faulty components) is very important...

this is such a pain for me...the shop i got it from is on the other side of canberra, i ride a motorcycle, so i will need to get a friend to take me there...i think i'll just get a refund and forget about it for now...i'm really sick and tired of mucking around with speakers to find good ones which eventually just "die" without me even doing anything wrong (not pushed to their limit, nothing!)...

i'm disappointed at klipsch and very unimpressed...

i have done one last final test with no positive result...

i plugged the unit in to a 2 channel stereo output on my dvd player and put the matrix on...no bass whatsoever..the only sound coming out of the subs (in bassy scenes) was like a humming/fizzing/crackling type sound...

so, i do indeed have a faulty unit (pre-amp or sub) and will have to ring up tomorrow and take it back in for a HOPEFUL FULL refund...

nah, not microdirect...i got it from millenium audio visual (home theatre sellers) here in canberra...i will probably end up buying the 5.1s from cougar computers (www.cougar.com.au) as they are not much more expensive than the 4.1s and they have 2 x 8 inch subs ;o)

of course, i've read problems about those as well, and if i have any problems, then i will never touch a klipsch product again...

it's just that i have bought EVER possible high range speaker around...and all have their little "technical" issues, etc...i would have thought that a brand name like klipsch wouldn't let things like "defective sets" slip through, but oh well!

Sucks... that's one of the reason I am worry about getting a Klipsch as well.. I am running on Altec ADA890 now.. I heard the bass is not as powerful.. but the sound quality and all is BRILLIANT and it comes with a remote control...

I do NOT have a problem with Altec..

You might want to consider that.. I know when Klipsch works.. it's a dream.. but it's close to being like a russian roulette.. I know they say that the failure rate is not high at all.. be that as true.. even if it's 1 outta 1 million set.. if you are that poor '1' that get a BAD set.. it's a real hassel and all to repack, send it.. called up.. get a return number.. etc etc.

-DoomsDay

doomsday: well, it is a hassle...i live in australia and they don't keep these speakers in stock...i will be taking them back to the shop within the next few days (i ride a motorbike so i need a friend to give me a lift)...they are packed in their box and i will be asking for a refund...from there, i need to decide what i should do...

i have had the ada890 and i don't see why you would want to keep them...great speakers apart from the fact (altec lansing acknowledges this too) that the speakers (sub mainly) have what is called a 180 degree phase cancellation...basically, when you play in 4.1 mode (so any games, etc) a lot of frequencies are cancelled out by themself...when i had the ada890s (just before these klipsch 4.1s) i couldn't stand this problem and returned them one week after - there is NO fix for this as they were initially designed for the dell (i think dell) sound blaster lives which have the front and rear outputs in a 180 degree difference, but which NORMAL sound blaster live (and 95% of sound cards) don't have...both outputs and INLINE in those cases...

so basically, the ada890s were a pain in the arse, not to mention they couldn't even give the 4 speakers tweeters, only 2 meaning that stereo x 2 mode SUCKED...