S-3 mounting and placement suggestions??

strutter

I've had the klipsch S-3 rear surrounds sitting on my mantle for awhile now about 4 feet high to bottom of speaker and only 2 feet apart. this is not optimal and not satisfying to me.

the owners manual recommends placement on a side wall. this is not possible

Alternate placement is on the back wall- possible -but i don't like the idea of just hanging them on the wall with a single center nail/screw through the keyhole.

the manual also recommends placement at 5 feet 7inches from the floor.-this is different than all my previous knowledge of surround speaker placement that puts them at about ear level when seated.

anyone know why this is different for these speakers?

so guess my question is how have other users of the S-3 dealt with placement of the speakers?

Is there a wall mount bracket that fits them?

is there a floor stand that works with them?

please help with suggestions.

There are not any brackets made for the rs-3 that I know of, but I purchased an inexpensive pair of universal mounts ($20.00 at menards) they were rated at 50lbs per speaker. They are a 2 piece unit one piece bolts to a stud in the wall the other bolts to that piece, they swivel back and forth and up and down, you position your speaker and then tighten it down, simple, cheap and effective, the only problem is the keyhole slots on the back of the rs-3's, you have to have both of them filled otherwise it would spin like a fan on only one screw so I got a piece of flat iron, drilled the holes at an even space to the keyhole slots, then put screwhead in keyhole slots, nutted them to the flat iron, and then bolted the flatiron to the bracket, not too hard if you think about it. I was able to mount them on the sidewalls high up so you could walk under them, and about 3 to 4 feet behind me, then I positioned them turned in to the listening position and pointed down so the woofer pointed at the sweet spot, I had good results. Don't let the guidelines pin you down to one thing experiment and do what works for you but by all means put them into operation because they could be in a lot better spot then where you have them now. (I had them at ear level on the sidewalls directly to the left and right of me and i found that I like this new position much better plus they look pretty good on the swivel brackets)

thanks for the reply. I'll check out those brackets. the SS-3's that i have only got 1 keyhole in each speaker. this is why i didn't want to hang them on the wall. got kids and all , one likes to dance in her room and tends to bump the wall a lot. the other likes to shut doors a little too hard sometimes.

the side wall isn't an option as my room is actually 2 rooms with the living room only having 3 walls.

the back wall will do fine i believe. thats where i had my previous speakers but they were small cubes that fit on adjustable stands.

as you know the S-3's are large speakers ,they cant be discreetly placed. i have been struggling to find a solution to securing and placement dilemma for a few months now, checking on-line for brackets and such with no success. thats why they've been on the mantle, which is on the back wall. i know they will sound much better placed further apart. just not sure how i want to do it.

I've thought of wall mounted shelves or floor standing shelves. but thought I'd check on here and see how others have done it first.

any other ideas from other forum members?