KG4 Cleaning

I posted earlier but forgot to include this question. My KG4's have some dirt/mud stuff on the grills and a bit on the divers and surrounds. Can i safely clean this with a damp cloth, or is this a bad idea on the surrounds. Also, is there any way to visually judge the condition of the surrounds if the rubber is not cracking at all? Mine have some grey discoloration but still seem quite solid. Thanks for the help and it's great so see such an active forum on such older speakers, it really makes me confident that I'm going to enjoy these!

Congrats on the KG4's! I just finished refurbishing a pair with some driver damage.

For the dirt on the grilles, maybe loosen with medium stiffness brush, then vacuum off loose dirt. Try damp cloth for remainder, blotting, not rubbing. Should come off. Don't get soaking wet or grille material may sag.

On drivers, the hard plastic is pretty tough but be gentle. I use a large round artists brush (like an auto detailer might use) to dust the surrounds, horns etc. first. You may use a very soft cloth slightly damp on the KG woofers and surrounds.

I just made some repairs to mine, these have the hard clear plastic woofers. There was a 3/4" crack, radial, from the surround inward, I applied a couple light dabs of clear fingernail polish to the outside of cone to glue the crack together. On another driver, the rubber surround was tearing loose from the basket edge around 3" of circumference. A light bead of black RTV silicone wiped in with a finger glued this together and stays flexible.

Michael

Congratulations on the KG4's. I really like mine. The KG4's are great Rock-n-Roll speakers, but they also don't need to be driven to extreme volume the make them sound good. My RF-7's need a little volume before the get really good. At lower (my girlfriend says normal) levels the 4's may even be better. ENJOY.