Clapton - Legends at Montrreux 1997

Steve_L

My daughter got me this recently for my birthday. I am admittedly a Clapton fan, but I had no idea this one even existed.

Clapton is excellent and plays as a simple member of an all-star band in a venue where Jazz is appreciated every bit as much as rock or blues. This is a bit different for Clapton, because the music is driven to a large extent with the lead from Sax player David Sanborn. Sanborn and Clapton trade off riffs and it makes for a nice blend of jazz and blues, maybe more blues than jazz, but certainly the sax adds a different dimension to the typical Clapton blues extravaganza.

This is pre One More Car One More Driver, which I really love, but it has some of the same cast. Steve Gadd on Drums and Joe Sample on piano. marcus Miller on bass does a great job here too.

I was never a big Clapton fan years ago when all my friends seemed to be like lemmings following him. I never liked his material all that much, and there was just so much other great stuff to choose from. I think his difficulties with drugs hurt him too, and he was mis-managed. But, in the late 90s and since, he has really come on to become one of the leading musicians of our time.

His work with the entire blues genre, with his Guitar Festival benefit for his recovery center, and the promostion work he does for older lesser known and younger up and coming future stars, like Robert Randolf is exemplary.

If you like Clapton, pick up this one, it's just another fabulous Clapton session!

Clapton may not actually be God, but it is pretty clear to me that God is living in his guitar strings. it's available through Eaglerockent.com but you don't look under Clapton, look under "Legends". http://www.eaglerockent.com/eaglerockUSA/media_detail.php?media_id=639

Product Image