ipod lock up

fred zeppelin

• 1 month later...

I just returned an Altec IM7 IPOD boom box speaker system because the door mechanism latch broke and failed to close after less than 30 days of ownership and even less than 30 days of usage! I picked up the Klipsch IFI speaker system when I saw they (Circuit City Stores) had it in stock and on sale for $299.99.

Anyway to answer your question, YES, after I got it home and all hooked up, I experienced problems with the HP Apple IPOD 40GB model that was used in the dock.

I could not figure out what the heck was happening. The IPOD just started stalling, stopping, skipping and sputtering on music songs that played just fine before the Klipsch IFI was used. So, this threw me into a troubleshooting spree where I tried updating the software with the latest Apple updater. Firmware on the IPOD was originally V3.01 and now it is at V3.1.1. Result? Absolutely no difference at all. Still get sporadic skipping and long delays waiting to change tracks using the IFI dock and remote control.

I have tried resetting the IPOD dozens of times over, even went so far as to do a full RESTORE function using the latest Apple Update of Jan 10, 2006.

Still the IPOD functions sporadically with long time delays changing tracks and skipping in the middle of tracks as if the hard drive or file were bad.

I too was suspecting something with the Klipsch IFI dock plug interface or electrical compatibility with the IPOD. Maybe noisey voltage rails in the power supply causing glitches? I'd hate to have to lug this heavy set back in for another refund or exchange at the store.

Anyone know what is up with this bugginess? I really cannot say if it is the IPOD or the Klipsch IFI interface at this point, but the IPOD was seemingly working just fine before inserting it into the IFI dock and using the remote control voltages on it.

Any Klipsch engineers on this forum that can shed some light? Please don't say update the IPOD, as I have just finished my extensive rework of the IPOD including entering its secret service mode and performing all the IPOD tests. The hard drive scan test PASSED, as did all else. I even wiped the drive and reloaded all the song tracks (497 songs). Granted some of my daughter's tracks may be bad or skip. but not to the extent that all these bad symptoms keep occurring with using it in the IFI dock with remote control.

At times upon first starting the IPOD would seem to play fine and respond to track changes quickly and play reliably. But after some time and ususally with alot of remote control key presses, the IPOD gets into that corrupted state and starts choking again, skipping, sputtering and long delays between functions.

What the heck?

Hope there is a fix for this.

I did work for apple and the thing is the HP iPod had a higher rate of

failure. But we could not service them because HP can only do it.

Stupid, yes but that was the agreement that apple and HP made. HP took

all the warantee and problems while apple just had the name. Well,

technically it was called the HP iPod. To circumvent the failure, I

would buy a male to male mini 1/8 stereo miniplug and plug one end in

the headphone and the other into the control pod. Although you cannot

use the remote or charge at the same time.

Also the IM7 latch broke when they first came out and they were

recalled. They took two months to finally return the product and still

the latch breaks. I attribute it to the high use of plastic on the

hinge that should be metal.

To update my dilema, here... The system sounded great, but daughter did not want to deal with the quirks and also it was too big and complex for her to set up on her limited space shelf. So I wound up returning it to the store for a full refund. Jay your suggestion on how to get around the quirks is appreciated, but it does not solve theproblem for Klipsch and also if anyone wanted to just plug it in via stereo mini jacks, then why the heck buy something like this with a remote control and docking station. That is one of the main reasons why I bought the dang thing - for the remote control and docking feature. Anyway, no sweat, I no longer have it. But one thing I can vouch for... it was one of the better balanced sounding little 2.1 speaker system I have ever heard. The bass was indeed impressive for the 8" subwoofer and better than my Creative Labs 5.1 speaker's 8" subwoofer at pounding out the deeper bass notes and at higher loudness levels. If they sold this style setup as a stand alone stereo speaker system with normal rca inputs and selectors, for less money and without the added cost of the Apple IPOD crap, I would consider buying it again. I don't feel comfortable buying the current PC speakers from Klipsch due to the reports of quality control problems. Creative Labs 5.1 speakers I have are not that reliable either. The hot subwoofer amp goes intermitent at times and stops working. So they all really should consiuder separating the amps from the small enclosed spaces of the little subwoofer boxes.Anyway, gone way off topic here. sorry. Best to all. It is a very good sounding system but I just could not deal with the quirks with the IPOD lock ups.

I have listened to almost every multimedia speaker to date... with few excepts like swan etc

The iFi is top contenders. There are very few capable of getting as

loud without distortion or as low without bottoming or as smooth as the

iFi.

As for the Klipsch quality rate, there not that bad remember this is a

forum usually for tech support meaning not alot of "hey that's a great

product" are going to come along. It is best mirrored as a hospital

where most non sick people stay away. Also the iFi uses a different amp

(not bash for the iFi then the promedia)

As for thestereo system you can do it with the inception of the line in

on the back of the subwoofer. You can buy a 1/4 rca to 1/8

minstereoplug for $6.50 as someone I helped to connect his preamp to

the computer to record his cassetts said. From whatever soruce (tv,

dvd, etc) you an plug that in and control the volume with the remote.

Also check your private message.

I hate to ask the question, but you're ipods hd may be failing. I'm not sure if apple has a utility to test it, but you could try doing a long format in windows and if that halts, you know there is a problem.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

backup your music obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I ordered another IFI system direct from Klipsch Sales online for $199.99 with discount coupon.

1) I have notice that the price for these Klipsch IFI systems have been dropping. Circuit City Stores lowered their price to $249.95 about 2 weeks ago and I also saw them on sale for only $199.99 at a local BJ's Wholesale Club. Too bad I had already had ordered my IFI from Klipsch online. Even though it was same lower price of $199.99, I had to pay about $32 for Fed Ex shipping charge plus my local sales tax which brought the total price paid up to $250. If I would have just saw it at my local BJ's Wholesale Club sooner I could have saved on the Fed Ex shipping costs and had the IFI system home sooner to play with. Okay, that's just to let folks know about the fairly big discounting that Klipsch is giving on these speakers now... are they discontinuing them soon and newer replacement models coming out? I hope that if the new model has a new and improved remote control that it will be compatible with the current (old) IFI system(s).

2) The other point wanted to make is that this second IFI system that I have now seems to work okay (so far) with my daughter's HP 40G IPOD without the quirky lock-up's, sputtering and stalls that were experienced on the first set of IFI system.

3) The speakers sound absolutely smooth and accurate. The vocals that these speakers reproduce from streaming PC audio, IPOD, WAV or MP3 recordings is absolutely imppressive and so close to a "life like" balance that I am very impressed. Let me humbly also say that I am an avid audiophile and know hi quality sound as opposed to the "in your face", sensational, boosted bass and treble sound. The Klipsch IFI sub bass is strong for an 8" woofer and does seem to be tuned for a lower frequency region and not the "boom, boom, punch" region that many people identify with strong powerful puchy bass. It is quite capable. I do notice that there is a slight depression in that boom/slam bass region but that may be just my room placement and it is not that bad really. The treble is just fine, it does not blare out and fatigue me with harshness. It is very smooth and balanced. So far the speakers are sounding wonderful and there is no "buyer regret" when it comes to the sound quality, however there is a feeling of "buyer regret" when it comes to the IPOD dock and remote control capabilites since it is a simple dock and remote that won't allow you to control the IPOD functions other than on/off and change tracks and volume. Also the shape of the remote is terrible as it is hard to discern which end is which and you fumble with the buttons. Should improve this with at least a different shape with blind people in mind (no, I am not blind. but if you accomodate worst case like this, you will cover all people). Just a suggestion, but now I am starting to ramble, so I better sign off for now.

Great sysytem. I highly recommend for great "stereo only" sound at the lowered price of $199.99. Just hope it lasts and does not have amp or electronics problems like my Creative Labs Megaworks 510D 5.1 PC speaker system did. If anything changes with regards to reliability as time progresses I will try to update again. So far the speakers start sounding smoother and smoother (as in less bright edge on the highs or upper midrange region) as the speakers "break-in".

"Let me humbly also say that I am an avid audiophile and know hi quality

sound as opposed to the "in your face", sensational, boosted bass and

treble sound. "

Klipsch with the horn loaded tends to be in your face but smooth in your face as opposed to treble boosted in your face

"Also the shape of the remote is terrible as it is hard to discern which end is which and you fumble with the buttons."

The play button is slightly bigger to tell you which side is which.

The Klipsch IFI sub bass is strong for an 8" woofer and does seem to be

tuned for a lower frequency region and not the "boom, boom, punch"

region that many people identify with strong powerful puchy bass. It

is quite capable. I do notice that there is a slight depression in

that boom/slam bass region but that may be just my room placement and

it is not that bad really.

try increasing the bass to suit tastes

Update: I ordered another IFI system direct from Klipsch Sales online for $199.99 with discount coupon.

1) I have notice that the price for these Klipsch IFI systems have been dropping. Circuit City Stores lowered their price to $249.95 about 2 weeks ago and I also saw them on sale for only $199.99 at a local BJ's Wholesale Club. I hope that if the new model has a new and improved remote control that it will be compatible with the current (old) IFI system(s).

3)So far the speakers are sounding wonderful and there is no "buyer regret" when it comes to the sound quality, however there is a feeling of "buyer regret" when it comes to the IPOD dock and remote control capabilites since it is a simple dock and remote that won't allow you to control the IPOD functions other than on/off and change tracks and volume. Also the shape of the remote is terrible as it is hard to discern which end is which and you fumble with the buttons

Great sysytem. I highly recommend for great "stereo only" sound at the lowered price of $199.99. Just hope it lasts and does not have amp or electronics problems like my Creative Labs Megaworks 510D 5.1 PC speaker system did. If anything changes with regards to reliability as time progresses I will try to update again. So far the speakers start sounding smoother and smoother (as in less bright edge on the highs or upper midrange region) as the speakers "break-in".

Regarding # 1 eventually you probably see a price adjustment, but if Klipsch is making money and some dealers want to make less so be it. I haven't heard one rumor about a replacement or improved iFi.

Regarding # 3 there have been discussion of a advanced two-way remote, but no word from Klipsch about its status. As previously mentioned you tend to see only the people requiring assistance in these forums, always a pleasure to read feedback or suggestions about this speaker system. Hey I think the Klipsch iFi is still a good buy for $249! [8-|]