Having hard time for geting S/PDIF out of Qosmio G20

debabrata70

[8-)]Hi Guys,
I am very new in this forum. I am having a very hard time with SPDIF out of Toshiba Qosmio G20. In manuals it says that ti has a shared SPDIF with Headphone. But I am not sure how to get it. I cun't see any Red Light in the headphone jack. I have tried with normal 3.8' minijack to 2 RCA. Enabeled the AC3out and PCM out in Sound max mixture. Enabeled "Digital Spdif out to external prosser,. But no luck. Is it cable ? or some configaration needs to be chanded ?
confused.gif I hav tryed to call up toshiba Singapore but no help.
Is there any one have same setup can help me out of this situation ?
Please.

Thanks
Debabrata.

If the digital output is shared with the headphone jack, then it's

probably not an optical connection. Take your minijack to rca cable,

plug the minijack into the sound card, and connect the left RCA to a

digital input on your receiver/processor. This is how it worked on my

old Audigy 2 card. If the left RCA doesn't work, try the right.

Hi Shade !!!!

Thank you very much for your advice!!! . That means I am using the right cable.

Actually I have tryed that but did not work.

Just one more thing I must share that when spdif out is select from "InterV. DVD player" I dont get any analog sound from head fhone also. That's mean at that time my head phone jack should work as a digital out, am I right ?

If so my riciver should recive the signal. But noting is happaning.

When I am playing any ACD then I am getting analog out from Headphone, thoue I have enabelled AC3 and PCM out in Soundmax mixture. also I could not find any other option in Win Midia player in Tools|Option|device|Speaker--- other than thease two 1. Default Direct Sound Device and 2. Direct sound :Soundmax Digital audio.

Any further suggation !!

Thanks again for your help....!

You might also want to check and make sure that all the internal wiring of your computer was done correctly. For example, all cd-roms have digital and analog audio outputs - and you will want to make sure the digital cable is being used (otherwise you can never have any form of digital output). I was ripping my hair out for days trying to get the digital working on my computer and it was only upon opening her up to do some other work that I checked and noticed that my computer shop hooked up the analog outputs. Switched her over and connected to the corresponding jack on my sound card and it worked perfectly.

And as always check that you've got all the latest drivers. And for testing purposes, stick with audio files already on your computer (that way the cdrom digital cable isn't a factor).

I have also seen a few built-in audio devices where you had to turn on the digital output in the BIOS.

Also, try using a player other than winvideo..something like windows media player (and again, use a file located on the harddrive).

And lastly, if you go to your control panel and open "sounds and audio devices" then click the "advanced..." button in the "device volume" box. Then click on options and make sure "advanced" controls is checked. Then click on the "advanced" button and you will find a checkbox for "digital output only"

I have a laptop that has the same shared spdif/head phone jack. What you need is mini toslink cable or mini toslink adapter with a regular toslink cable. The mini toslink fits into the headphone jack and pipes out the digitial signal. Just google on toslink and you should be able to find some sites that sell the cables. I found mine an my local radio shack.

Thans Guys !! I really apritiate the way you try to help me out.

I have tryed the Volum Propartis|Advance options also but I can not see any "Only Digital Output Option"

Also There is no optical light is coming from Head phone jack so no use of toshlink Cable. (that part I figure out by my self ..... he he).

And still fighting.........

I don't think you can actually see any light coming out of the head phone jack like you do on a regular optical out. I was skeptical about the spdif on my Asus laptop until I actually tried it with the toslink cable - I just plugged it in with no other changes to any settings. But I maybe wrong about my laptop having the same type of spdif connection as the Qosmio. Anyway, good luck figuring it out.

Happy New year Guys !!!!!!!!!!!

Yessssssss, at last I have cracked the nut....

Alcually, untill you insurt the jack, the light wont glow (he he). I have insurted one Plastic Straw ( the hard one ) in to the hade pnone jack and Bingo ! a red light ! . Ofcorce I need a to buy toslinlk cable with 3.8" optic connector. I have to bye from net i think here in India it is not easy ly avable. Now I have made a custom OFC connecter to run the show. :-))

Thanks a lots, You guys are grate !!!

Debabrata.