Richard Thompson - Live at Austin City Limits

Steve_L

Whadjyaget for Christmas?! I got a bunch of great music videos. I LOVE music videos!

This one is a major keeper!

B00081928C.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Richard Thompson may be, like jazz and good scotch whiskey, an acquired taste. I know he has been a performer I wasn't so impressed with in my younger years, even though I'm his age and remember him when he was a member of the British Folk-rock group Fairport Convention. Maybe I just never listened closely, and his music needs to be listened to closely, as it challenges you.

His guitar playing is hypnotic and the lyrics are meaningful, the overall package is artistic and impressive.

Thompson has two DVDs out right now, I've seen them both, and they are both excellent. The other one is his Live in Providence DVD which has much of the same material but is a slightly larger band, with a sax player and electric bass player. On this DVD it's just Thompson on guitar, and a stand-up acoustic bass player and a drummer. The small combo works extremely well. The drummer and bass add just the right background to the centerpiece guitar work of Thompson. Most of his performance is acoustic, with a few electric near the end as the performance builds. His guitar work is stunning. Sparse, technical, and very musical. If you like great guitar work you are going to really like this DVD.

The sound on this is either Stereo, or DD5.1 or DTS. I always default to DTS when it's available and it is EXCELLENT. If you are looking for good demos for your sound system this is one. The acoustic bass goes down to what sounds like less than 15hz in a few stanzas and it is like hearing and feeling waves come through the floorboards.. you can almost count the soundwaves.

This is a must have DVD concert video for anyone that appreciate great guitar, fock-rock, British Folk, and just fine music.

I got a few more really interesting looking DVDs but this one is currently in my top 10 list. It isn't Clapton's Crossroads, or One More Car One More Driver, but it is very very good, a musical masterpiece with technical excellence on a small stage and scale.

Thanks Steve, I'll look for it. Some of my favourite lyrics are in one of his songs.

"Red hair and black leather are my favourite colour scheme".

That's in '52 Black Vincent Lightning' - a song that's like a little

movie going off in your head with some incredible guitar work. In

concert, it's a crowd favourite.

Does he do it in this DVD? Hamish

He does Black Vincent as the first song in his encore, and he does it on the acoustic guitar and he just brings the house down with it. If you like that song you GOT to go get this DVD, you'll love it.

Being a motorcyclist myself (started riding in '73 on a Kawasaki 500, and now have a 98 Honda Valkyrie with 70K miles on her) it is also one of my favorite songs. Thompson does it with style, and power and his guitar work is powerful.

It's a great DVD. He does 52 Black Vincent on the "Providence" DVD as well, but I like it better here with just the acoustic bass and snare drum backing.