Trade Up?

DaleR

I've had my Kg 5.5's for nearly 12 years now, and even though they sound as awesome as the day I bought 'em and are in pristine condition, I've kind of got the itch to upgrade. The Reference line looks pretty good, but I'm wondering if the improvement in sound quality will be worth the $$.

The RF-7's have better sensitivity (102 db to 98) and can handle significantly more power, but they weigh 20 pounds more. The RF-5's have almost exactly the same specs as the 5.5's. I've not had a chance to hear either of these speakers yet. The Good Guys had them, but they recently went out of business!

I know many of you have the RF-7's, and I'd really appreciate your input. If I can't achieve a significant gain in sound quality, I'll just stay put and save my money for some new K-horns [:)].

Dale

I own both RF-7's and the Khorns. Never heard the Kg5.5. But there's no comparison between the Khorn's and the 7's. If you're into music and serious reproduction get the cornerhorns. If you want new Khorns that's an option. I've owned 1986 Khorns and 2004 Khorns... I preferred the 1986 units. Many folks here obtain vintage Khorns and upgrade components and crossovers. There's a lot of bang for your buck to be found among the members from this wonderful site.