Hooking a promedia 5.1 up to a receiver?

beke

Hello all, I have a set of Promedia Ultra 5.1 speakers and was wondering how to set them up to a receiver. Am I able to plug the subwoofer into a pre amp output and keep the satellite speakers plugged into the sub? If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I would like to get sound from all of the receiver functions (TV, CD, DVD andTurntable)

Thanks

Beke

you could do one of 2 things

hook the sub out on your reciever to the sub, and wire the speakers directly to your reciever

or

(supposing your reciever has 5.1 ch pre-outs), you can use 3 1/8th stereo to 2 rca jack cables and plug the pre outs from your reciever into the sub of the promedia system as it would be connected from a computer.

I have an old receiver and it has no pre-outs butI am in the process of buying a new receiver for the system and have noticed that people are using digital decoders, what would be the draw back of a decoder and a cheaper 5.1 receiver?

Beke

I assume you're talking about the klipsch dd-5.1 or something similar to that when you say digital decoder. What you propose seems to me like it would work fine, but IMO, you should spend the money you were going to spend on the digital decoder on a better reciever with discreet preouts and more buttons, bells, whistles, and gadgets. That's just me, and I'm not sure what kind of a budget you're on. I'd like to hear what someone else thinks as well.