Any thoughts on M&K subs?

Seismic_Pulse

Have any of you ever owned a sub by M&K?

How do they compare to SVS or Klipsch?

i own the mx-70 dual-8 by m&k and although it sounds quite nice with music, HT buffs need not apply. The sealed, low powered sub is not a recipe for acceptable levels of low-distortion bass (even if it is a push-pull design).

I'm pretty sure m&k engineer their subs with room gain in mind. I don't think they are designed to be anechoically flat. Their utmost priority is low distortion and flat in-room response, which makes it a rather hit and miss approach for those with mid to large sized rooms. I would venture to say that their dual-12 inch subs would'nt make much fuss against the PB12+ or RSW12 from SVS and Klipsch.

I would'nt recommend the m&k's for "serious" HT duty...overdriving them is a distinct possibility for those with visceral bass appetites. The price for two units would be prohibitive for many. While certainly not lacking musically, more can be had for considerably less in both the Klipsch and SVS line. The newer vented designs backed by variable tuning, high excursion drivers, class D and BASH technology, is changing the face of home theater sound and relegating the sealed sub to the quiet corner of the audiophiles.

I was initially taken with m&k but ownership has soured a little on me. If sound quality is the "only" concern and price is no object, then by all means, seek out m&k. For the discriminating bang-for-buckers and bassheads...look elsewhere. You've been warned...

M&K are music subs above all,they shine with music and for HT they will not impress the BOOM BOOM KABOOM fanatics.

All M&K subs are designed for clean output,but they will not dig very deep and sustain a very high SLP at the same time.From 30hz up they pound,25 and below they whimp out,as they simply cannot displace the air for the shake factor competing subs can.

From my experience - they are just a LF extension of your speakers -

not really a subwoofer. They do what they are designed to do -

take the small M&K monitors and extend their bass down to 20, 30 Hz.

They are AWESOME for music (unless you like bass heavy stuff), but for movies, they seem kinda lame and not very exciting.

Yes, they are very accurate, but they will not really do what a

Klipsch, SVS, or other sub will do - they are really not even

subwoofers it seems - just bass extension modules.

From my experience - they are just a LF extension of your speakers -

not really a subwoofer. They do what they are designed to do -

take the small M&K monitors and extend their bass down to 20, 30 Hz.

They are AWESOME for music (unless you like bass heavy stuff), but for movies, they seem kinda lame and not very exciting.

Yes, they are very accurate, but they will not really do what a

Klipsch, SVS, or other sub will do - they are really not even

subwoofers it seems - just bass extension modules.

BZZZZT

Wrong,a device that extends response down to 20Hz is a SUBWOOFER.The M&K simply lacks the output capabilities of larger Klipsch,HSU and SVS subs among others.Think of it as a light fisted Velodyne HGS,where the HGS18 can punchm,reach deep and play loud the M&K is very competent but lacks the very deep bass high output.

Calling M&K subs bass modules is far from accurate.Many would love to have these "bass modules".

I would argue that for the same price you could find just as musical subs that will also satisfy "HT needs" - though I have a lot of music that has the same needs that a theatre has, so to draw a distinction between the two is a bit extreme.

"mustical" to most people is merely a subwoofer free of resonations or excessive group delay - which many attribute to sealed subwoofer designs. However, you can achieve nearly the same effect with a properly tuned ported enclosure - the problem is there are a lot of improperly tuned ports out there. But you definetly won't have this problem with klipsch or SVS.