Excited about new construction HT...need a little advice...please

Allen in Texas

Building a new house, and have a HT drawn in at the top of the stairs (only thing on the second floor).

The dimensions are 20 feet long, by 13 feet deep by 9' ceiling. It is drawn with a step up in the very rear that measures 6 feet deep the remaining 14 feet are naturally one level.

I do not have any equipment yet as I know it depends on room dimensions. There will be 2 pilasters sp? on the long wall and 4 windows on the other long wall (which will be completely blacked out when room is in use)

I would really appreciate any comments as to your personal preferences knowing these dimensions...screen type...I know I'm getting a HD DLP projector and I'd like to do the paintable screen, it will have a hardwood floor with area rugs...other than that, I don't have anything nailed down...

If anyone has software that I could use to help with potential sonic problems, that would be great

Really just looking for any ideas or advice from a very informed group.

You can check out http://www.rivesaudio.com/resources/links/frame.html

They have a very simple demo to predict room issues and some articles/recommendations on related subjects. I have never brought anything from this website, so I can not personally vouche for anything.

Here is another I found intersting discussing bass traps

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Good Luck

My preference is always to do a screen wall with an acoustic screen. There are so many advantages to doing this from both a sound and presentation standpoint it is overwhelming. Having all three speakers on the same plane across the front is so much better it ain't even funny. You can do it very reasonably with some 2 x 4's and 2 x 6's, a Dazian acoustic screen, add some speaker grille cloth to finish the rest. Put some Linacoustic behind the whole thing and you are off to the races. If you want to get a bit more theatrical, you can build a simple curved stage from 2 x 6's and put some curtains up to cover the screen when not in use. This, again is inexpensive, but presentation is everything in a dedicated home theater. Oh..and if the flooring isn't in yet...hardwood is nice (much of my home is hardwood) but carpet is the way to go in a dedicated theater...no question.