Did I blow the speakers and/or sub?

dopiipod

Bought an iFi today and hooked it up immediately. Before using my ipod, I hooked up my computer to the sub using the aux input. Unfortunately, the volume on the PC was maxed. No sound at first, then I hit the Mute/Standby bottom, and super high volume. The speakers gave a burst of sound then were just outputting scratchy distortion. I turned the system off, restarted it and it appears to work OK, but of course I have nothing with which to compare it. The bass seems light, and the sub doesn't give anything when you put your hand up to it. I guess my question is did I blow the speakers or sub, or did it clip off with protection and is OK? Any thoughts appreciated.

Bought an iFi today and hooked it up immediately. Before using my ipod, I hooked up my computer to the sub using the aux input. Unfortunately, the volume on the PC was maxed. No sound at first, then I hit the Mute/Standby bottom, and super high volume. The speakers gave a burst of sound then were just outputting scratchy distortion. I turned the system off, restarted it and it appears to work OK, but of course I have nothing with which to compare it. The bass seems light, and the sub doesn't give anything when you put your hand up to it. I guess my question is did I blow the speakers or sub, or did it clip off with protection and is OK? Any thoughts appreciated.

If you hear sound out from all speakers you probably just made a awful lot of noise that scared the crap out of you. [:D]

Overdriving the audio input of the iFi can produce distortion and more power directly going to the tweeter then normal. But if you put your ear to each of the satellites and can readily hear bass and high notes output then your satellites are probably fine.

The sub woofer you would have had to seen very long excursion's of the woofer for you to damage it. You probably didn't have time to adjust the bass output to max. The volume level probably shocked you as these speakers can get very loud (spec is 114 db).

Remember the bass output tends to improve with age with new speakers. Play around with a music track and vary your EQ and subwooofer level, if the music sounds normal without any buzzing, or other odd sounds then you are OK.

BTW use the line-input on the sub rather then the aux input on the control pod with a computer. That way you can hear both your iPod and your computer audio at the same time.