Watching Tv through Computer....totally lost

LiveSlipJoint

Im not sure where to post this question, and I apologize in advance if I am in the wrong place, but here goes.

I am totally lost as to how to set up what I want to set up, was hoping someone could find the patience to guide me through this.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

My goal is to be able to watch television and DVDs using my PC monitor and speakers, but WITHOUT having to have the computer turned on.

Here is what I have to work with:

Samsung SyncMaster 191T LCD monitor

Creative Audigy2 ZS Platinum Pro sound card

Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 speakers

Klipsch DD 5.1 Decoder

ViewSonic NextVision N5 Video Processor

I am attaching a diagram, if anyone could help me figure this out, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Kenny

I'm sorry you didn't get a response here. I'm guessing. Doesn't the manual have a diagram for all this?

I took a quick look at the ViewSonic website.

It looks to me like the box is meant to do what you want to do..

It looks like the box is an NTSC receiver. That is basic standard TV or analog cable.

It also has inputs for various video and audio. One looks like just an RCA connector for video out of a VCR or DVD player. And you can see audio stuff too.

- - - - - -

VIDEO:

There is yet another computer monitor type connector. This may well be the input. I.e. your computer video card would normally go to a monitor. Instead, this box goes in the middle.

So, lets look a very basic stuff. Right now you have a computer with a video out using the "D" type connector. The metal shell looks like a letter D. There is a wide side and a narrow side. There are nine or so pins inside. You connect your monitor to that. The monitor typically just has thick cable with the mating connector

What you want to do is get the box in the middle. So you're going to have to go to Radio Shack and get an additional monitor cable to go between the computer output and the box. The monitor gets connected to the box.

To summarize:

Computer - - - > Box - - - > Monitor

- - - - - - -

The audio is a little different and I can't know what the connections are. Generally the audio out of the computer is a mini phone plug, like the female on a Walkman. You plug the amplifed audio speakers into this.

Again, you're trying to get the box in the middle. It has RCA phono plug inputs, and outputs. Note what I say farther below. You may want to forego this because there is only one audio input. You need that for the DVD or VHS.

So first you have to buy a mini stereo phone plug to RCA (there will be two of them) wire. Again RS has them.

The next problem is that output of the box is RCA phono. Maybe the speaker system has a mini phone plug. In any event, you're going to have buy the cable with the correct connectors at RS.

So the first try should be:

Computer audio - - > box - - - > speaker system.

In the long run you want:

Computer audio - - -> box - - - ->surround processor - - - >speakers.

Or DVD audio - - -> box - - - ditto

None the less, do the simple one first to work out bugs.

You'll see that the box has other video inputs for your DVD or VHS player. That should be simple.

The problem is that there are not multiple audio inputs. So maybe you just feed your DVD or VHS audio to the box and use some old speakers for the computer.

= = = = = = = =

Sometimes you run into a good person at RS. Bring your manual and diagrams. They may fix you up with the cables. The rest you have to work out at home.

Best,

Gil