Are these the correct parts to swap on a KLF-C7 crossover?

vman71

I'm going to be ordering parts to upgrade my KLF-C7 and just took inventory of the parts that I think should be changed and they are:

1 - 10w (6 horseshoe J) resistor

1 - 25uF 100V cap

1 - 47uF 100V cap

1 - 2.0J 100V (don't know what it is)

1 - 8.0J 100V (don't know what it is)

Do I have the right parts list if I'm going to use the original PCB?

What parts recommendations would you suggest for each? Brand, etc.?

Thanks,

Mike

I'll post pictures and listening impressions when done.

Vman,

Could you make use of another KLF-C7crossover? I have one that's missing a round wire coil.......not sure what it does (or did). The coil broke off when the speaker was shipped to me and I just replaced the whole network. I might even be able to find the "coil", but can't be sure right now. Just send me your address through a pm and I'll mail it to ya'.

Rick.

Vman:

A few important "interpretations" if you will:

1) "Horseshoe" means the "ohm" symbol, so you need a 6 ohm 10 watt resistor - don't know what you mean by "J"

2) 2.0 "J" and 8.0 "J" - I think you are referring to the 2.0 and 8.0uF caps IIRC the circuit correctly - again, "J" means nothing

I can't confirm the "2 and 8" until I get home, I am 99% sure they are not inductors (because of value, and the topgraphy of the circuit which I do remember) - 2nd order filter on the tweeter with 2 caps and an inductor.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks, that information helps.

1. The exact writing on the resistor is "10w 6 ohm J"

2. The exact writing on the other things are "8.0J 100V MER CH" and "2.0J 100V MER CH"

I'll have to wait for more guidance before placing the order.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike:

Sorry for the late reply. As I thought, those are 2.0uF and 8.0uF capacitors. The "exact writing" on a component usually relates to the manufacturer of it, and rarely if ever conveys anything else useful unless you are trying to order an exact copy of it; what IS important is the numerical values, and I confirmed these with a factory schematic.

The 2uF cap, 8uF cap and resistor can and should be replaced with better components; you will not likely find it an easy task to replace the large capacitors due to board space limitations, and would probably not gain a substantial benefit from doing so.

Chris

Chris,

Many thanks for the interpretations of these part values. I'm going to attempt to replace all five parts on the stock PCB. I don't have to worry about downtime with my KLF-C7 because I'm using your K-stack in my C7. [:D]

So let the experimenting begin! [:D]

Thanks again,

Mike