LFE input vs. High level or both...help please

fletcherkane

Ok, a quick question (hopefully its quick) on connecting my new subwoofer. (Sub 12)

I am running a Pioneer 1015 as a receiver with Forte 1's as mains.

When I do the auto calibration, it sets my main speakers to large, and the sub to "on". However, when playing music with it set up this way, the sub gets no signal, I presume because the mains get the full range, and the only time the sub will activate is when LFE signal is present--ie with movies...

So, can I hook up the Sub with both the High Level speaker inputs and the LFE? The manual says that if I hook up the High level, that all tones under 100hz are removed from the signal sent to the mains. So, setting it up this way does the same thing as setting my mains as small, and just using the LFE. Then my sub gets the low signal, and I have the sweepable low pass filter, which I can set at about 80 hz.

I guess what I am asking is, is there a way to get a full range signal to my mains, and a sub 80hz signal sent to my sub simultaneausly, or is this just a pipe dream with my current receiver?

(I guess the question wasn't so short afterall...

No, don't do what you are suggesting.

But you DO have several options to accomplish this.

If you wanted to just leave the sub connected "conventionally", with a mono LFE line, the easiest thing to do would be to use your receiver's "PLUS" setting in the receiver's subwoofer setup menu. When your speakers are set to LARGE this will also send the sub, along with the LFE, any bass information below your crossover setting. So you'll send a full range signal to your mains and only the info below your crossover setting to your sub; exactly what you're wanting.

Another option would be to just simply connect the subwoofer via a line-level connection to the front R+L pre-outs of your receiver (vsx1015tx, correct?) and set your receiver up as having NO SUB. Then use the sub's crossover knob to "dial it in". I think the SUB12 does have R+L inputs, so this is doable.

Another option would be to simply connect the subwoofer via a speaker-level connection to the same speaker outputs that your front speakers are connected. And again set your receiver up as having NO SUB and use the sub's crossover knob to adjust it. But there is really no reason to do it this way because your receiver does have front pre-outs and your sub has R+L pre-ins.

The first option is probably the best for accomplishing what you want. The other 2 options, although useful when bass management choices are limited, "smear" the LFE and low frequencies across the front speakers and subwoofer.

Thanks for the help. I discovered the Plus setting on my 1015tx just after posting here.

I actually think that I prefer the sound with the mains set to small. With it set to Plus, the 80hz and lower signal gets muddy--too many standing sound waves I think. It seems that the sub-12 is more than able to handle all the bass duty in my smallish room--my previous sub was not sufficient to this task.

I assume that with the mains set to small, and the Sub 12 handling the 80 hz and lower frequencies that, in theory, my receiver will work less hard?

I am just getting used to adjusting my thinking. It seems really weird to set my big Forte's as "Small" Speakers.

Yeah, when I posted I meant to add at the end there that you could also just set your Fortes to SMALL. Many people ARE resistant to this with their "large" speakers, though.

But, yes, the "PLUS" setting DUPLICATES bass in both the fronts and sub, and in most cases is not the most desirable solution.

And yes, the idea with the SMALL setting is that your receiver has to work less AND your speakers have to work less, allowing them both to concentrate on reproducing, more accurately, only those frequencies above your xover; ie. should theoretically give you cleaner mid-bass.

In the end, you should set everything up as what sounds best to you. If running your Fortes as SMALL sounds best, go for it.

It seems really weird to set my big Forte's as "Small" Speakers.

Well if it's any consolation, the text book correct method is to set

your mains to small as that will better refelect the system used in the

studio. The terms "large" and "small" are rather misleading because

nobody wants to set big speakers to the small setting [;)]

Really, if it sounds better on small then that is the setting you should use.