Hooking up my ProMedia 4.1's with my Cavit RP-U200

Diomed

I just got my brand spankin' new Yamaha Cavit RP-U200 in the mail today (http://www.yamaha.com/cavit), and I'm having problems setting it up with my Klipsch ProMedia 4.1's.

First of all, the Cavit manual says I have to use speakers which have no built-in amplifier, and a subwoofer which does have a built-in amplifier. I don't know if my ProMedia 4.1's meet these specifications, and couldn't find any information regarding this on the Klipsch homepage.

Second, my Klipsch speakers don't have any way to connect the subwoofer to the Cavit. The Cavit is just expecting a line-in jack on the subwoofer, which the Klipsch ProMedia's don't have. It has a "Preamp Input". I'm slightly confused. Where is the amp located on the ProMedias?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I honestly didn't expect setting up my Cavit with a well-known 4.1 system would be this difficult.

Thanks,

Diomed

Diomed. I wish you would have posted your message before you bought the receiver or Promedia 4.1's. The Promedia series speakers are "multimedia speakers" They do not and cannot take any external amplification from any other source. The only amplification that exists is attached to the metal plate on the back of the sub. The amplifier is inside the subwoofer cabinet. The only way to hook the Promedias up to receivers is if you have "pre-outs" or pre-amplifier outputs. The 4.1's have two (1 front, 1 rear) 1/8th inch stereo cables as inputs into your source. If you can find 1/8th inch to rca adapters, you could theoretically attach these inputs to the pre-outs on your receiver. However, pre-outs on receivers are usually discreet outputs (ie. front left, front right, center, surround left, surround right, and LFE or subwoofer) This means that you would also need to get a rca y-splitter to converge the front left and rights together before you connect it to the rca adapter input cable on the promedia. The same would also have to be done with the rear input on the promedia. Then on top of that, you would have to setup your main and surround speakers as large on your receiver, and no subwoofer. Of course this is all just theoretical because I'm not sure converging left and right channels on a receiver would work. I mean I'm sure you'll get sound out of them butwhether or not it is the intended sound is another story. Add to that the fact that most receivers only have pre-outs for the front speakers and the subwoofer. I guess what I'm trying to say is this is a nightmare to do. Promedias are not meant to be used with receivers... only unamplified decoders and break out boxes like the Audio Tornado or the GTXP. I hope this helps. Tell us what you're using it for and we could recommend something for you.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

This message has been edited by Underhanded Penguin on 10-23-2001 at 10:57 PM

Diomed. I just did some reading on that Cavit you bought. The reason they advertise it as a receiver for desktop computers is because it has a usb connection. But it's still meant to be used with regular passive speakers and active subwoofer like most receivers. Promedia 4.1's, for the most part, are meant to be connected directly to the front and rear outputs on a soundcard.

-UP

------------------

I love you Aki Ross!

Hey,

Thanks a bunch for your response. Well, I've had a hell of a time setting it up, and I got the impression along the way that my ProMedia's aren't meant for my Cavit ;-) I have the sound on the four speakers working, but no subwoofer. What's annoying about it, though, is that if I want to use all four speakers I have to go through the DSP, which warps the sound in anything besides classical music. The only "through" output is with 2 speakers. I guess I didn't know what exactly I was buying... I thought it was something else.

I'm using these speakers for DVD movies, MP3's, etc, and I just wanted a nice way to connect it to my laptop, and I also liked the added FM tuner. If you have any other suggestions for a nice set-up that would meet my needs I'm all ears. I'm not much of an audiophile, but I'd like to have nice sound.. ;-)

(btw, if there was a way to go "through" with all 4.1 speakers, that'd be great... I really like the U200, I just don't know what to do. Maybe a nice set of bookshelf speakers? Any that you recommend?)

Thanks again,

Diomed

This message has been edited by Diomed on 10-23-2001 at 11:38 PM