Setting for my SUB-12

FierceTimbo

I'd start by setting the crossover in the receiver to maybe 60, and set all speaker size settings to small. Then, to adjust volumes, invest about $35 in a decibel-level (SPL) meter at Radio Shack - get the analog one not the digital one. Use it to adjust the channel levels in your receiver using either the receiver's built-in test tones or a calibration DVD like Avia.

You may find you just have the volume up too high on the sub. I find I cannot accurately set the volumes on the channels by ear.

Also, you can play with placement of the speakers and sub. The closer you have a sub into the corner, the more accentuated it will sound. Ditto on the speakers.

thanks for the info..currently my sub is behind my bed in which i watch all my movies in (so basically the sub is about 3 feet behind where i am watching and listening)..is this incorrect placement because to my understanding the sub placement is not of high importance. is this true thanks.

Sub placement can be of HUGE importance. What you read was meant to convey that the frequencies it emits (usually less than 80hz) are difficult to locate, meaning you could theoretically place the sub anywhere and not be able to tell where the bass is coming from.

In real life, though, you can locate some of the higher frequencies generated by the sub.

However, placement of the sub can have a huge impact on how much sound it emits and how good it will sound. Placement can cause boominess, muddiness, etc... The best way to determine where to put it is to a) try various placements around your room (corners, along side walls, front, back, etc...) or B) put the sub where you normally sit to listen and then move around the room to all those various places and listen.

The location where it sounds the best is where you should put the sub.

Does your Yammy have automatic room calibration? If it does, it will probably set your F3's as large speakers. Change all of your speakers to small and let the very capable Sub12 handle all below 80 hz. I also agree that you probably have placement issues. 3 feet from your listening position with that much sub will make for an unpleasant listening experiece.

The I have mine in an 12 x 20 room, and the level dial is set at about 10 oclock. The auto matic room eq on my pioneer still dials the sub down by about 12 db.

Keep moving stuff around. You'll get it!