Newbie :) just have to ask a few questions

Parasitic

hey guys

i just got a set of 4.1's and they do sound great, until they became defective , argh! replacement time

anyway, I plan on using these speakers for my room, and i plan on using them for everything, moviez/pc gamez/console gamez/mp3's/cd's , pretty much everything

I'm using a santa cruz sound card

what im wondering is, Since it has an Input jack on the sound card

If i wanted to hook game consoles or my dvd player into this input(using mini jack stereo adapter)

can it still produce/decode surround sound? will i get that effect? I dont know much about this stuff at all, or maybe im better off just getting an actual home theater system? one other thing, since these are defects, am i just better off getting the 5.1's instead of the 4.1's now?

thanks guyz

The input jacks to four channel cards are all two channel inputs. Some cards have matrix surround modes from which you will get "something" coming out of the rears. It's not particualarly accurate, but is probably better than two channel.

The only way to get better than that is by hooking through a digital input, which would be available on some 5 channel cards.

As for 4.1 vs. 5.1, I would stay with the 4.1 for a four channel card, and 5.1 if you plan on upgrading to a 5 channel card in the near future.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

well the santa cruz sound card is a 4.1 and also supports 5.1

i tried a quick test tonight by hooking my dvd player into the input jack

and it came out of all four speakers actually

so im not sure?

i couldnt tell if it acted surround sound or not but it did come out of all four speakers

ill have to do more test tomorrow

since my sound card is 5.1, is the upgrade to 5.1 worth it?

Well, since you do have a 5 channel card, you would likely benefit from the ProMedia 5.1. The main difference would be the additional power, and the existence of the center channel.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665