RSW-12 Grill Rattle Issue?

November

Greetings, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I just installed my new RSW-12 last week. It's mated with 3 R-5650's for the front sound stage and 2 R-6550-S surrounds in the back wall. Love the system and the in-wall performance is stealthy. The RSW-12 blends right in and hits hard.

One issue I'm having with the sub is its grill cover makes an awful and very loud rattle sound when pushed over 60%. I was sure to check around it and it's defiantly the grill cover. I tried re-seating it several times and still the same issue. Obviously when I remove it the rattling goes away. I inspected the grill cover for any cracks or breaks in the frame, nothing.

This seems like a design flaw but surprised it would get through the Klipsch QC process, especially for sub of this cost and quality. I prefer to have the grill cover on for aesthetic and to protect the cone. Just a pain in the *** having to remove it every time we listen to a film.

Question for the forum: Is anyone experiencing this with their RSW series subs? And if so any suggestions on what to do about it?

Thanks all in advance!

well that is a hard thing to really find out until you play it loud for

klipsch quality team to find it. I mean we are talking a few

millimeters if that of the plastic piece. I think the plastic piece was

made too narrow, carefully get something to wedge it a bit wider (the

two plastic pieces) do not bend or turn the plastic white! carefully

expand it and hopefully it will have a tighter fit in the hole

I would probably just stick something small in there to make it a tight fit.

LOL

I'm too lazy to go through the hassle of returning to the dealer to swap grill covers or

speakers for something trivial if I can solve the problem by

inserting a small piece of folded paper, cardboard, or anything handy

to create a rattle free fit. Just stick small inside that wont be

visible from the outside:) However, if it's new, you're definitely well within your rights to exchange the product.

HEH...... I had a problem with the door leading down to my basement

rattling when movies play, so my solution was to shove a piece of cardboard in the door

jam, and the problem was solved....hahahahahahah A folded

piece of empty toilet paper roll works wonders!!

Sometimes I'll go weeks without going down into my basement, and when I

finally do....... that damn piece of hidden cardboard falling when I

open the door always catches me by surprise:)

Thanks for the quick reply. Man I wish it was that simple, the post holes are grommeted with rubber so the rattle isn't coming from there, Klipsch thought of that part it seems.

It's the actual grill face or the plastic mesh frame supporting the fabric, it just resonates and creates a buzzing sound that is awful. Even when I hold the grill in my hand and tap on it rattles but I cant find anything loose, it's got to be the design?

I have to believe I'm not the only one pushing this sub during movies enough to notice this, we have it set at about 70% volume and crossed over at 55hz.

Again, anyone with any knowledge, experience or fix for this chime in. Do Klipsch product support people lurk here?

Thanks guys!

The Klipsch staff does not lurk on the subwoofer section too much

because of all the products their subwoofers face the least amount of

problems. Maybe along the lines of 1 problem (not even failure) in

three months? More or less the discussion in the subwoofer section is

placement, crossover, and heck other subwoofer companies to go with

their klipsch.

How about if you do not want to return it, to put some duct tape on the

inside of the grill frame to give it a bit more strength from bending

or so? It sounds to me really though that the plastic cracked somewhere

Never had this problem, but I have an RSW15; the RSW12 cover may be different.

I would imagine it is coming from the plastic piece and the KLIPSCH logo/front light area.

Is the little tube on the cover that transmits the front LED light lining up properly with the LED?

The passive radiator isn't striking the inside of the grill cover is it? If it is, perhaps you've shoved the cover too far into the holes.

I dunno. Worse comes to worse you can put the grill cover in the closet. [:)]

It's the actual grill face or the plastic mesh frame

supporting the fabric, it just resonates and creates a buzzing

sound that is awful. Even when I hold the grill in my hand and tap

on it rattles but I cant find anything loose, it's got to be the

design?

If it isnt a simple fix, I would definitely

contact my local dealer, and make arrangements for a replacement.

Providing it's a recent purchase, you can simply return it to the

dealer and make an exchange.

Good luck.....

Many thanks to all who responded. We tried setting the grill slightly forward and it's not a clearance issue. The LED tube and bezel is set firm as well. I would hate to return the whole sub just for a new grill.

I'm giving Klipsch a call to see if this is a known issue or what recourse we have. Again, any RSW-12 owners out there please chime in if your experiencing the same thing.

I'm giving Klipsch a call to see if this is a known issue or what recourse we have. Again, any RSW-12 owners out there please chime in if your experiencing the same thing.

I've never seen this complaint here, actually. I'm sorry you're having problems. Is running it "grill-less" definitely not an option?

Well, I spoke with Kilpsch technical support today. First question was where did I buy it and no it wasn't through an authorized dealer but rather an Ebay member with perfect feedback.

In any event, the sub was vacuum sealed and packaged as it came from the factory so I have no reason to think it was a return. He said this is a first to his knowledge and had no solution other than that I might be pushing it above it's normal operating range and the things tend to rattle.

He was very understanding of my issue but couldn't offer anything further. Grill-less may be the only fix.

FWIW, he did mention that the RSW's are discontinued and a new generation 4 series will be out soon. They will have 2 radiators and 1 driver with a pyramid type shape and an all digital on board electronics or something to that effect.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions.