Help w/ surround speaker Klipsch in-wall selection.....

jreyes63

Hi there:

Couldn't pass up the great deal of Refurbished RF-7's directly from Klipsch on ebay. Picked them up today.

I'm also currently planning to build my home...late summer/fall. Also going to structure wire the whole house, looking 5.1 upstairs bedroom and 7.1 HT/Den. Not going the fully automated $$$ way. Want to wire for future though.

My home theater/media room (not dedicated) will be about 3,000 cuft(20'x15'x10'). Which Klipsch speakers should I match w/ it. RC-7 (center), R-5800's for surround & backsurround? Bummer is there no LA area Retailer that has theses to demo and I wanted to test these at reference levels. I called at least (10), including Ken Cranes in Calif. and no luck. Or should I go with KS-525 for the surrounds. This is my first MAJOR up grade. The fronts & center will go into a built-in cabinet. Using floor standing for the surrounds and back won't work (wife and young children and foot traffic). Told my wife, I'm gonna stick w/ these speakers for at least 10 years, (not sure she bought that, lol). Thanks for any help or tips.

Jonathan
Cali

Current Gear:

JVC 52G786 52"
Onkyo TX-DS898 (will upgrade to 200w/ch/pre/amps later)
Moxi DVR HDTV(Cable)
Panny S77
Sony (5disc)
Xbox w/ XBMC
Maxtor Network Drive/Server
Harmony Remote
JBL S-38's (front)
JBL Center (same class)
JBL Surr ("")
JBL Surr Back ("")
SVS 20-31CS+
Sampson Bridged 700
AudioSource SW-15 (first sub lol)

Thanks Soundbroker:

A couple of questions though, noticed the in-walls R-5800 and R-5650S don't have enclosures .... have you noticed any differences in bass response? Do you have to treat the wall cavity or build an enclosure inside? How did it perform at Reference levels for HT tracks?

Was thinking about going with what you suggested.....but just saw online the RS-52 & 62 for surrounds. Have you tried these or installed any of these. Thanks.

Soundbroker is offering good advice. The forthcoming Ultra 2 in-walls would seem to be the ticket and you won't have to wait too much longer. It will likely be a challenge to find a dealer with them installed for demo, but we are working to get that done.

Here is a link to a press release on these new models. BTW, they do incorporate back boxes.

http://hometheaterhifi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22467#post22467

Information will appear when we commence shipping. Don't want to jump the gun while we are ironing out typical pre-production check list.

Thanks Soundbroker:

A couple of questions though, noticed the in-walls R-5800 and R-5650S don't have enclosures .... have you noticed any differences in bass response? Do you have to treat the wall cavity or build an enclosure inside? How did it perform at Reference levels for HT tracks?

Was thinking about going with what you suggested.....but just saw online the RS-52 & 62 for surrounds. Have you tried these or installed any of these. Thanks.

Well, they obviously don't have the bass response of the RF-7's if that is what you are asking! That being said, with bass management, they are pretty darned good and a good tonal balance match. They are designed to go directly into the wall, you wouldn't want to build a back box for them. I make sure the wall is solid and the cavity is well stuffed with insulation. They perform well at reference levels if you roll them off at 63hz.

I haven't installed any of the new onwall surrounds, but from what I heard, the 62's which are designed to match the replacment for the RF-7 (the RF-83), are better. That being said, they are more spendy than the 5800's and 5650's.

The best possible match will be the THX Ultra 2's, either on or in-wall. They use the same compression driver as the RF-7 and have the best tonal and dynamic match. The Ultra 2 on-wall dipoles are one of the better buys at $1250/pr. You pays the big bucks...you get the best sound.