Active crossover question.

Does anyone out there own RF-5s or RF-7s that they have removed the passive crossovers from in favor of electronic crossovers? I have a pair of RF-5s in my 7.1 setup, but am planning on using them in another room for a stereo setup. I am planning on using a SET-type tube amp for my highs, and an Aragon dual monoblock for my lows. I am not too familiar with electronic crossovers, so if anyone out there knows of a decent brand, let me know. I have been looking at Rane.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone out there own RF-5s or RF-7s that they have removed the passive crossovers from in favor of electronic crossovers? I have a pair of RF-5s in my 7.1 setup, but am planning on using them in another room for a stereo setup. I am planning on using a SET-type tube amp for my highs, and an Aragon dual monoblock for my lows. I am not too familiar with electronic crossovers, so if anyone out there knows of a decent brand, let me know. I have been looking at Rane.

Thanks!

Hello,

As mentioned this issue has some legs in other threads.

That said,I have no expierience with the speakers in question but do run a biamp rig with an active and tube amps for the highs/SS for the lows.I can say it is a revelation.Done right it walks all over passives imho.Now some will take issue with that statement but untill you have heard it for yourself you will never know.

As far as Rane components I use the Mojo 2way I got from ebay fairly cheap($75)just to get my system up and running.Some say they dont make them like they used to but it sounds very good to me.I am sure there is better out there and I want to get into a tube crossover from Marchand.The Rane x-over is good bang for the buck but if you want to spend the jack then Marchand is the way to go.But if you just want to get your feet wet then get a Rane unit.If your not in a hurry mine would be for sale soon as I have the upgrade bug.

One thing to remember when actively biamping is the importance of level control for each amp.You will get level control with the Rane but if your SS amp has alot more power than the tube unit it is nice to have input level control for the SS(more power)amp.

Greg