Earthquake SuperNova MKIV-10 Subwoofer

chops

We do care but the thing is that is not a very popular or know subwoofer. I remember reading it in a home theater magazine where it was compared to a velodyne spl 1200 and the sunfire super junior where it did hold it's own quite well. Though the sunfire won, it was second place

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It kind of pisses me off that these little subs don't get the recognition they deserve. Everybody praises SVS left and right.

I know SVS is good, I had their PB12-ISD/2 for about six months, but got rid of it because I wasn't happy with it for music. These little SuperNova's walk all over that sub as far as music is concerned. The SuperNova's are cleaner and tighter, and go just about as loud and deep as the ISD/2 tuned at 20Hz.

If you ask me, that's a very tall order for these little guys to pull off, but they do, and they do it very well. And at $700 for the pair, it's a great deal.

And I am completely amazed that they keep up with the Cornwalls! The powered drivers barely move at all, but when the bass gets down in the low 20's, that PR starts a poundin' away like there's no tomorrow! But it does so very cleanly and accurately, and without effort. They are a very good match to the CWs. It's definately the best combination I've had in here yet!

You guys can go with your SVS' and HSU's... I'll stick with my little SuperNova's. [;)]

Well they are passive radiators so the port noise and so will not come to play. Passive radiators sound more like sealed then port .

I am amazed too that they can keep up with the cornwall

Also the reason why the powered barely moves is cause the passive radiator at resonance point basically moves all the xmas of the powered

I am amazed too that they can keep up with the cornwall

They have absolutely no problem keeping up with the CWs. I have the gains on the subs set around 10 o' clock and the sub out on the receiver down around -6 to -8.

We just bought and watched that movie "The Chronicles of Narnia" last night. There are some pretty decent bass scenes in that movie. Those little SuperNova subs pounded out the bass with ease, and I was playing the system fairly loud last night.

Also, on Monday night I watched "The Pixies" in concert on one of the INHD high def channels. The bass coming from the bass drum throughout the entire concert just shook the whole house with every hit. Talk about "breaking in" the subs, especially on the very first day.

Yeah, these little guys are here to stay!

Oh, and pipe organ music?! WOW! With these subs and the CWs playing together really makes the all mighty instrument come to life.

I think what I really like best about these subs is that they are "instant". I mean, when something happens, they let you know fast. They have the best transients of any sub that I have had the pleasure of owning.

Dare I say these Earthquakes are just about as good as my old DIY dipole subs?! [:o]

Also, on Monday night I watched "The Pixies" in concert on one of the INHD high def channels. The bass coming from the bass drum throughout the entire concert just shook the whole house with every hit. Talk about "breaking in" the subs, especially on the very first day.

just one statement

Where is my mind? [;)]

I did some looking and I was wrong on the wordage. Its just a folded horn sub.

Something like this but inclosed not with the glass top. I

don't know if this one is worth building or if there is something out

there that would be better. I am sure there are alot of people on

here that could steer me in the right direction.

http://www.gourmetsaint.com.au/Subwoofer/

I have heard from a few good sources that this folded horn sub

doesn't sound or perform all too great...tis sad because it's such a

creative and cool looking design.

Btw, a transmission line is not the same thing as a folded horn. TL

designs rely on quarter-wave theory and behave somewhere inbetween open

baffle and ported systems.

just one statement

Where is my mind? [;)]

??? [:^)]

Chops,

I have just one question about the MK-IV 10...Is there a volume control on the sub?

I am hopefully about to get one and I want to know befor I shake my house apart....

Of course it does. It's the knob all the way to the right.

post-15109-13819286703202_thumb.jpg

post-15109-13819290976422_thumb.jpg

post-15109-1381929493522_thumb.jpg

I just picked up one of these "used" through Audiogon. Pretty cool sub for the price that I paid.

Hey Chops, I see that you have the "Y" connector for the sub's input connection, I only have the mono one, will the Y connection yield better bass response?

Some people say using a Y-adapter gives the amp a little more signal and helps make the "Auto-On" feature a little more sensitive, turning on earlier and staying on durring long, quiet passages.

It's just something that I've always done.

BTW, I just watched Toy Story 2 tonight. Talk about deep and loud bass. Holy crap these little subs surprise me every time!

I see...so if I don't use the auto-on feature and just turn on and off when I need to, there's no point of going out and getting a Y connector?

I guess there is no point, however Earthquake does recommend using Y-adapters. It couldn't hurt either way though.

I would try using the auto-on feature though. I have not had a single problem with my subs not coming on soon enough or shutting off early at all. And if they have done either, they are so fast that I have not noticed it.

You'll soon find out that having to physically go turn on and turn off the sub everytime you use it will become old very fast.

Okay, my MK-IV 10 just got here today, and I've had it running for all

of 5 minutes here, and I must say...its amazing. I agree with chops,

this sub is great, it works so well with the PMU 5.1s its amazing...I HIGHLY

recommend one of these if you want a great sub that's very good

sounding, powerful, and compact (Sublime is amazing on this sub!!!) No

other way to go in my opinion. :D

Okay, my MK-IV 10 just got here today, and I've had it running for all

of 5 minutes here, and I must say...its amazing. I agree with chops,

this sub is great, it works so well with the PMU 5.1s its amazing...I HIGHLY

recommend one of these if you want a great sub that's very good

sounding, powerful, and compact (Sublime is amazing on this sub!!!) No

other way to go in my opinion. :D

Geeze!! [:o]

I know what these subs are capable of doing with my big Cornwalls (now Cornscalas), but it must be major overkill for a ProMedia setup. Now that's gotta be pretty cool. [;)]