I should've kept it, gosh darn it

CAS

Just a note about the HK AVR-500 I bought on EBay for my brother (and should've kept for myself by the way). It seems I cant use Avia to calibrate the speaker levels; the only way to manipulate their volumes individually is during the internal test tone, then use the Avia test tones to calibrate the sub along with the other separates. Is this correct? The manual seems to tell the same.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I also inducted him into the world of Klipsch (although theyre simple little SB-1s, but Klipsches nonetheless). It kind of makes me a little sick. For some used Klipsch separates, a used HK receiver, and a very nice sub built by his wonderful brother ( J ) I equipped him with some great HT sound for just pennies on the dollar. I calibrated last night and its capability for the price is shocking. He's blown away...and so am I for that matter. Under $900 (my labor was free). Talk about bang for your buck.

I'll try to include a pic of the sub later.

It seems I cant use Avia to calibrate the speaker levels; the only way to manipulate their volumes individually is during the internal test tone, then use the Avia test tones to calibrate the sub along with the other separates.

I don't understand your problem...do the AVIA test tones play through all the speakers like they're supposed to? Or are you simply unable to adjust channel levels without going into the built in test tone thing?

You could always just run the AVIA disc and record your measurements...then go to the menu where you adjust levels and make adjustments based on your measurements. Then go back and play the AVIA disc again and verify your changes. You will probably want to put the meter on a stand so that you don't end up moving it around, possibly skewing your readings (since you'll be going back and forth so much).

It seems I cant use Avia to calibrate the speaker levels; the only way to manipulate their volumes individually is during the internal test tone, then use the Avia test tones to calibrate the sub along with the other separates.

I don't understand your problem...do the AVIA test tones play through all the speakers like they're supposed to? Or are you simply unable to adjust channel levels without going into the built in test tone thing?

You could always just run the AVIA disc and record your measurements...then go to the menu where you adjust levels and make adjustments based on your measurements. Then go back and play the AVIA disc again and verify your changes. You will probably want to put the meter on a stand so that you don't end up moving it around, possibly skewing your readings (since you'll be going back and forth so much).

The Avia tones do play through all of the channels, however you are correct in that the only way to change the output levels of each individual channel are during the internal HK test tone (which mutes the Avia tones).

The meter is on a tripod. I simply used the HK test tone to calibrate to 75, then kept the master volume the same while I calibrated the sub at the same time. It all works out the same, I just have to use 2 different sources.