What do you guys use for on-wall speaker wire clips?

KungFuNat

I am about to install my first custom home theater in my house.. Unfortunately I cannot do in-wall wiring, so it will have to run along the wall instead.

I just want to know what you guys like to use for on-wall wire clips.. I am going to be using 14-awg zip wire, but that actually might go up to 11-awg canare cable.

Why can you not do in wall wiring? There are many ways to do this. You can remove baseboards and run wire behind. You can remove door moulding and run wire between the door jamb and 2x4 and then up to the ceiling. etc. You can run wire behind crown moulding. You can even run wire up corners and put a small moulding over it. The only thing to watch for is that there are usually 2x4 running horizontally half way up the wall between studs. If you have a drain pipe running down from a second floor or a vent stack running up there is usually a clear path in the wall beside the pipe. You can put wire inside heating ducts. You can put speaker wire under carpet!

There also is flat speaker wire you can put on the wall and then put wall paper or re-plaster and paint over it.

Do not be afraid to make a few holes in the wall and patch them up again.

The best time to do this sort of thing is when you want to paint/renovate anyway. At least the you have paint to match. But even if you have to make holes in wall when you are not renovating, you can still get away with painting just one wall.

You are doing this for the long run, a little more effort now will pay of later. How much is your HT system worth? is it not worth the extra effort to run wires properly?

Gotta agree, you will like it more if you take the time to "do it right" the first time. It was a bear, but I "fished" 4-conductor up the walls into the attic and split it off to dual 2-conductor wire (using fire-resistant, grade appropriate, in-wall wiring) connected them with silicone underground style(to keep the connection dry and permanent) wire nuts in a plastic rehab electrical box and then trailed each down to binding post wall outlets.

If you can't or don't want to "fish" wire, the suggestion to put it behind the moldings or make use tape wire are also good ones.

Here's one brand of adhesive backed wire tape which has worked well:

http://www.impactacoustics.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3101&sku=43027

It's available in varied gauge for what ever your situation.

Best of luck with your project!

Depending on the wire you can usually get away with staples around the wire, or other times I push a pin through the rubber in the middle. Just be careful that you dont' get a staple touching the wire on the inside

There are also zipties you can purchase that have a screw hole in the head....so you wrap the ziptie tightly around the cable and then you run a screw through and into a stud. If you go into drywall you will want to use a drywall anchor, but that's probably too big of a hole for an apartment.
080-840m.jpg

So if a small hole like that isn't an option, then there are also adheisve backed ziptie things as well (which can also be screwed in for extra support). These are usually used inside amp racks where you have a smooth metal surface to mount to...I'm not sure how well they work on drywall...you'll definetly want to make sure it's a clean surface.

080-515m.jpg

And here's a link for ya.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=3

If you haven't purchased your cable already then you will probably want to go with something a bit more on the sitff side. It's harder to make a stiff cable go flat and look good, but once you work it into such a position it pretty much holds itself up...so your mounting system will be there just to keep it straight and flat against the wall.

Also, just some parting advice...don't get sucked into the cable propoganda. Just make sure you get the right guage with good connectors. And I would suggest purchasing cable NOT at your local Best Buy or Home Audio store...they will have crazy markups on everything. I usually purchase mine from Radio Shack and Partsexpress (depending on how soon I need it).

I rent and cannot make any modifications to the walls... its gotta be on-wall clips fellas.

A couple drops of hot melt glue every 10-14 inches or so and it pulls off without damage to the wall or paint. Be careful the glue is HOT. I have about 15' of fm antenna wire hidden alongside the crown mold in the living room and from 3' away it can not be seen.