Brokeback Mountain

oldbuckster

• Moderators

Hey Amy, I'd really like to see your take on this movie, if you watched it, I bet you did.

Hey,

So I finally watched this last night. Very good movie--heartbreaking--not only for the men who denied themselves happiness, but for the women in their lives affected by the denial.

There were a lot of subtle scenes that made the movie different from other "love stories." More thoughtful--more layered. I really liked the scene toward the end when Ennis went to see Jack's parents. They dynamics between him and the mother and father were very telling. You could see the heartbreak they had as well, on a different level, and very different from each other.

The love scenes did not bother me at all--people really need to get over that [;)]

My only complaint with the movie--they talked so low and "slurred"--especially Heath Ledger--it was difficult to understand some of the dialogue. I understand that was just a part of his character...he was very repressed in many ways, but it still bothered me!

Very well done, Michelle Williams was impressive playing perhaps the most devastated character of the bunch, IMO. At least the men found love in each other.

I won't even touch on the Oscar worthiness of this movie compared to Crash. I have no idea how they choose one over the other anyway--they are completely different.

• Moderators

Oh, and I have a question...

WITHOUT giving away the plot, I'd like to hear opinions on the phone scene near the end. Do you think his fate was how she described, or what was shown?

I couldn't tell if they were trying to show what actually happened, or if the scenes were just played out in Ennis' imagination (because of what his father showed him when he was a boy).

I guess it could be interpreted either way...I was just wondering if there was one opinion stronger than another.

Either way, it was a powerful scene also. The Princess Diaries girl did a good job breaking out of her previous roles.

That princess diary girl was breaking out of her role for princess diary, if you ever watched any of her other movies......

Anyway I think it happened maybe not in that exact way but something like it. Her voice, the coldness and such, kinda like breaking up with a love that cheated on you voice made it clear to me that something to that degree (shown) went on. (admin edit: I said do NOT give away the plot, Jay!! [:)] )

My only complaint with the movie--they talked so low and "slurred"--especially Heath Ledger--it was difficult to understand some of the dialogue. I understand that was just a part of his character...he was very repressed in many ways, but it still bothered me!

Very well done, Michelle Williams was impressive playing perhaps the most devastated character of the bunch, IMO. At least the men found love in each other.

Heath spoke? [:P]

I thought Michelle Williams should have won an award for her acting and the women were in the movie really given just mediocore roles but infact were essential to the plot. Infact it would be just a movie about two cowboys if it were not for the women.

Also with crash, I think the oscars chose it because it was another way out of the predicament with brokeback

• Moderators

Anyway I think it happened maybe not in that exact way but something like it. Her voice, the coldness and such, kinda like breaking up with a love that cheated on you voice made it clear to me that something to that degree (shown) went on. (admin edit: I said do NOT give away the plot, Jay!! [:)] )

I think you're right--and they way her life was structured (high society) made her version of the story more "acceptable" in that circle, and one that she would rather tell. But I think the coldness in her voice and teary eyes meant she knew who Ennis was to Jack....she had probably known for a long time.