Question about the RB-61s for any of the Techs out there...

I asked this question on another thread, but it may have been in the wrong section.

I'm in the market to replace my old speaker system. I do watch my

share of DVDs, but music fidelity is an absolute must for me, in fact,

of greater consideration than HT applications. Because of the

furniture configuration and other factors in my living room, I'm

looking specifically at bookshelf speakers for mains. My receiver is a

Yamaha HTR-5660, (90 watts RMS per channel). The

room is about 18' x 17 1/2' with a ceiling that vaults from the sides,

(10') to the center, (12').

Right now, for the main speakers, I'm looking at either the RB-51s or

the RB-61s, for center speaker, the matching RC-52s, RSX-5

for surround, and the RW-10 as the subwoofer. My questions are as

follows:

1. I'm interested in laying the mains, (possible

RB-61s),

on their side, but I have some concerns on whether or not the fact that

they have a 90 x 60 horn configuration will matter. If I lay them on

their side, will this drastically change the way that they sound? Will

laying them on their side have a significantly adverse effect on sound

quality and dispersion from the horns, and If

not, will it make a difference if the horns are laid to the inside of

the room, or to the outside?

2. If the RB-61s turn not to work out, I'd be interested in the

RB-51s. However, they are rated for 75 watts RMS, and my receiver is

rated at 90 watts per channel RMS. Would I be placing both the RB-51s

and the RSX-5s in danger of damage? I hear different views on this issue, and wanted to get the expert's opinion on this. Also, do the RSX-5 match, tonality-wise, with the bookshelve speakers?

3. Other options that I should look at for bookshelf mains instead of the the ones listed above?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Rick

1. I'm interested in laying the mains, (possible RB-61s), on their side, but I have some concerns on whether or not the fact that they have a 90 x 60 horn configuration will matter. If I lay them on their side, will this drastically change the way that they sound? Will laying them on their side have a significantly adverse effect on sound quality and dispersion from the horns, and If not, will it make a difference if the horns are laid to the inside of the room, or to the outside?

The horn tweeter in most Klipsch speakers creates a dispersion pattern that is 90 wide X 60 high. We do this to minimize reflections off nearby walls but to still provide a wide listening area. If you turn the speakers on their side, the pattern will be 60 wide by 90 high. So the listening sweet spot will be a little narrower and the vertical dispersion will be a little greater. The narrow lateral pattern will help minimize reflection from the walls of the cabinet. If the speakers are set very far apart from each other and if you sit too close, you might get a "hole in the middle" effect. Generally speaking we suggest the distance from you to the wall the speakers are on should not be greater than the distance between the speakers and not less than 60% the distance between the speakers. None of this is hard and fast and some experimentation usually results in good sound.

2. If the RB-61s turn not to work out, I'd be interested in the RB-51s. However, they are rated for 75 watts RMS, and my receiver is rated at 90 watts per channel RMS. Would I be placing both the RB-51s and the RSX-5s in danger of damage? I hear different views on this issue, and wanted to get the expert's opinion on this. Also, do the RSX-5 match, tonality-wise, with the bookshelve speakers?

If RB-61s don't work, I do not understand how RB-51s might unless you are talking about physical size. Always go with the bigger speaker if possible, even if you'll use a subwoofer. The bigger speaker will have better dynamics. On power, there is no definitive answer. Most of hte time, you'll be using less than 5 watts. Power and volume are not a linear relationship. You need double the power for just 3 dB more volume. This is kind of like a car; if your car has 200 Hp and has a top speed of 150 mph, how much more power do you need to go twice as fast? To go 400 mph takes a TON more power. Check with drag cars to verify this point. For speakers and amplifiers, the only concern is what happens when you are playing at the maximum volume your amp/speaker combo will go. Every amp will make excessive distortion when you max it out and this distortion, more than too much clean power, is what kills speakers. Your 90 watt/ch amp with 75 watt speakers is a fine match as those power and power handling numbers are always approximate at best. Just use caution when you are playing loud. This would be true even if your speakers were rated for 500 watts. The amp can still kill them if you use it unwisely.

3. Other options that I should look at for bookshelf mains instead of the the ones listed above?

Its reasonable to think so... the reason I ask is because it is stated as such on the specs of the matching center speaker, (RC-52), but not so on the specs of the RB-61. Just wanting to be sure because the mains are still going to be very close to the HDTV.

Just as with their predecessors, the new bookshelf models have bucking magnets on the woofers but do not have shield cups. This means that the most sensitive TVs may be affected by a RB model in very close proximity.

Center speakers are fully shielded with bucking magnets and shield cups. It's worthi noting that even with buck and cups, there is always some amount of stray magnetic field.

Just as with their predecessors, the new bookshelf models have bucking magnets on the woofers but do not have shield cups. This means that the most sensitive TVs may be affected by a RB model in very close proximity.

Center speakers are fully shielded with bucking magnets and shield cups. It's worthi noting that even with buck and cups, there is always some amount of stray magnetic field.

Time to use Neodymnium BobG [;)]

I had a customer with a similar height restriction, and turning the bookshelf speakers sideways is not a good sloution. Instead, I sold him 2 centers. Now this is a more costly solution, but remember, the centers have dual woofers so you could go down one size and still get similar output. I really like the RC-52's, and 3 across the front would be a nice matched front stage.

Kelsyn