Connection Type Question

mtber101

Amp usually has female end and preamp usually has male end on their XLR connection. I looked at both of outlaw and Sunfire's website online picture and they show the same. You should use the cable with one male and one female end. The male end goes to the amp and female end goes to the preamp etc.

I am not sure whether the outlaw unit uses direct XLR like some bigger companies do or it is just interconverting from unbalanced(RCA). Check if it's correct or you won't be benefiting from switching to balanced.

As far as I understand, the outputs are balanced XLR. If that is what is being meant by direct XLR and not converted from RCA. If it was just wiring from RCA to XLR then only 1 pin on the XLR would have a signal, but 2 of the pins have a signal, the XLR differential signal.

I think the owner's manual might tell you this, as in which pin is +, - , and ground.

Ben:

Vince is right. Generally you need male to female (or female to male depending on which end you're looking at) xlr cables. That's what my system takes (B&K pre to B&K amps), but I think it's pretty much standard. You may want to give the manufactures a call just to be safe.

James

Edit: Or, better yet, PM "getech" who posts here on the forum. He's a Sunfire dealer & I see from his sig line he also has an Outlaw 990.