Good Sound

kennykimny

Hello,

I just received my iFi set. And they are simply amazing. I thought I had good speakers when I had the JBL Creature II Speakers, partly due to the fact that I never had any sort of speaker system before that included a powered subwoofer. The difference between the JBL's and the iFi is amazing. I can't stop talking about them and showing them off. I am not a huge audiophile, very new to the scene, but eager to learn. Are there any good guides or FAQs out there regarding sound? It seems like a very subjective issue. Are there any "test" cd's that feature tracks that just run through the frequencies? How do I know my tweeters are working well?

Stereophile magazine has a set of test CDs with tones and tracks on them, you should be able to find a set online though. RS has a $40 SPL meter unless somebody locally can load you one. Testing your system from your sweet listening spot will give you an idea of your frequency response (gerenlly, the wider and the flatter, the better). Otherwise, just ask away....

[H]

ok tips:

well I barely saw this since th iFi has their own posting thread. But anyways

Keep the subwoofer on the floor. Subwoofers incorporate room nodes and such. If you place it near a corner it gets louder but boomier. Boomy is associated with car subwoofers that tend to be one note and high bass. The higher the bass the louder it is percieved due to the fact that humans average 20-20000 hertz. As you get closer to 20 hertz you feel more then hear. The best way to place the subwoofer is actually to place it on your chair and crawl around to hear where it sounds the best. Think of it as reverse listening where if you place it where the sub sounds best then you reverse the whole thing.

Next, the ifi satellites are really modified Reference series RSX-3 with the low pass crossover pulled out. This is due to the fact that the ifi amp takes care of crossing the low frequencies. Laymans terms, the satellites have limits on how high and how low it can go. That is why there is a tweeter (small speaker) and a woofer (bigger) the crossover well crosses or mitigates the signal to split it to the correct speaker to handle the correct frequency. Due to the amp (power source) being in the subwoofer, the amp takes care of the crossover of the satellite and the subwoofer. Hence they took the low pass crossover out of the satellite. I probably lost you on that one. Anyways, placement of the satellites are crucial. Since it is stereo, (means left and right) you want to spread them as far as possible but not lose the middle (center). That is why home theater systems have a dedicated center channel (centers are the workhorse due to most of all the vocals or speech is done through it) I say a good 6 feet of separation is good. Also try and let the system go back. These are not like computer speakers which are usually nearfield speakers. Nearfield means that it sounds good close. Most speakers are not nearfield (real speakers not computer speakers, the ifi is a real speaker) anyways try and stay 6 feet away from it and it starts to loosen up and sound better. It sorta is like a tv screen, close up they look no so great and you need like 5 feet to get a good picture. Unlike the computer screens which look good closer up (that has to do with the more pixels, that is why computer screen are even better than the best hdtv also)

Also give the subwoofer some space. Do not push the speaker into the wall. First the metal plate is a heatsink, it exchanges the heat into the room to not have the amplifer burn up. give it a good 12 inches. Also see the slot on the right side. That is called a port, more speficially a slot port on the ifi. As you play it louder you can feel the air being pushed in and out. It is wise to let it breathe and have room. If you plug it then you will make the subwoofer less powerful. Yes there is reason and rhyme to why they put a hole in the subwoofer box but that is an advanced topic. If you want to know then ask us.

Also keep everything aligned in polarity. See the speaker wire, how one side is striped or has the black line. There is no real which one is right but I like to keep the black line with the red on the subwoofer and speaker. Make sure red to red, black to black, and do that for the same. This is so one speaker is not out of polarity. If you reverse one while the music plays one speaker will be pushing out and the other in and the sound will sound hollow and lifeless.

hope this helps