How can I connect a SW-V to my receiver's sub out?

coreyc

while you wait for an answer...something for you to look into...

it sounds like you are tyring to connect an 5.1 sub out from a reciever to a subwoofer that does not have a LF input.

in most case powered woofers that do not have RCA type LF inputs rely on being connected in the middle of the main speakers and main amp. If you have 4 sets of speaker wire connections on your powered amp (input left and right, and output left and right) read on. if you do not have 4 sets of speaker wire connections on your powere sub woofer my response will not help you.

The subwoofer LF signal in 5.1 or 7.1 is at a lower frequency than covered by many amplified woofers that rely on connections via am amps speaker output path.

So to actally get the LF 5.1 or LF 7.1 signal you will need a way to amplify the LF singal output to watts.

if you set a reciever to activate the LF output...in most cases...it changes the signal going to the main speakers and does not include the LF signal....so tapping your main speakers to drive your powered woofer that relies on an amps output path connection will not get you the LF signal unless you de-activate the sub out connection on the reciever.

options are

A. Powered woofer, single channel amp in woofer, you have a second amp available, and you want to activate the LF channel on a 5.1 or 7.1 system, woofer has 4 speaker wire connections: after activating the LF signal (in the reciever menu turn on the subwoofer or set the speaker size to medium or small) connect LF output to either a powered amp that accepts LF or connect to a second amp, then connect the second amp to the woofer "speaker wire type" input connection. in this case..you wouldnot be using the speaker out on the woofer amp plate...do not connect this to your main speakers if you have your reciever connected to your main speakers....check you powered woofer manual to make sure you can leave these unconnected...if your powered woofer is a three channel unit...you probally will not be able to leave them unconnected.

b. Powered woofer, woofer amp has one channel, you do not have a second amp, you will not be able to use the LF signal, but want to use your powered woofer: to use a powered subwoofer that relys on speaker wire connections with a reciever you will need to de-activate the LF output (sometimes this is done by changing the speaker size to large in the reciver menu or by setting the sub woofer connection to off), connect your main front speakers to the "speaker type" inputs of the powered subwoofer (follow the instructions that came with the powered woofer) and connect the speaker out on the powered woofer to your main front speakers.

Hope this helps....please double check your manual before making any changes.

Thanks for your detailed response. What I want to do is add the Klipsch SW-V as a second sub, so turning off the sub channel & setting the main L/R's to Large on my Denon 1803 is not an option.

I know that I can add the SW-V by using a seperate power amp, but it seems like such a waste to amplify the LFE channel to the SW-V, just so the SW-V can take a bit of that signal & re-amplify it.

ok, that makes things clear.

so now that we understand that your mains do not have a full bandwidth of signal (you are running and LF channel now...which cuts the bottom end of the mains between 40 and 120hz)...couple of thoughts.

My amp allows changing the cut off frequency...I can set the signal going to both my LF and mains to anything between 40hz and 140hz.......do you know what the cut off is now...what signal is going to your lf subwoofer...what is going to your mains?

if you want to connect your legacy subwoofer to your system under a senerio of having an existing LF active subwoofer...option is to change the cut off frequncy of your LF channel so that some goes to your LF subwoofer...some goes to your main speakers.....if you send some of the LF signal to your main speakers in this fashion, and then place your legacy powered woofer in between your main amp and your main speakers, then there will be a signal band that the legacy amp can amplify and contribue....other wise...since the cut off frequency currently has most of the LF signal going to your LF sub woofer...placing the legacy subwoofer in line with your amp and speakers won't add any value because the signal has already been re-directed to your LF sub woofers.