Ever heard of these guys?

CECAA850

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

TheWOOFER account is no longer hijacked by my clown coworker who likes to get into pointless arguments.And yes my password is so bizzare for TheEAR use TheWOOFER at work.

Now back to,woofers.TCsound is great for the industry as it pushes standards forward and forces the lazy competition to redesign and improve thier own products. [;)]

In reality who here needs these mad displacement woofers? Who will fully utilize them? Nobody save for a few people who want to fill very large spaces with deep bass.

Hello...it depends on the application. For sealed LT/PEQ/BFD the biggest limitation to sub 20 Hz performance is Xmax. The driver simply runs out of stroke. With vented designs, of course, this would'nt be a problem.

AAMOF, with 8 dB of boost at 20 Hz i can still only get the tc-3000 to -6 dB @ 20 Hz (1/2 space- 1 meter) . This gives me an f3=28 Hz in a 2 cu. ft. enclosure. The driver reaches the limit of linearity at 500 watts of power. That 34mm is eaten up quite rapidly with an equalized, sealed subwoofer.

As the excursion capability of drivers improve, sealed subwoofers may well close the gap with their vented bretheren.

What did you do to the tinsel? Something like I said to make it heavy, like electrical tape?

The RE XXX is the basis for the Tumult, Tumult modified for home, RE XXX was made for the car.

The LMS 4100 Neo was meant for ported enclosures so I dunno why you want that unless you are ready for a really big enclosure with atleast a 6 inch port due to the 36 mm xmax on the sucker.

I too am also afraid of the sensitivity when I saw the 3000 rms watts in the LMS5400. I will chose the look and wait till specs approach [:P] also the look and laugh at my wallet approach as I purchased the RF-83 instead of the subwoofer as planned (umm too good a deal and was one of the first to get them!)

The thing that bothers me is the LMS is supposed to have less harmonic frequencies than hte regular versions which drives me a bit bonkers. The what if factor, I rather have a low distortion monster than a boomy monster. Well I do the look and wait factor as there is no pre order sale. Also on another note Ascendant Audio still has not released full specs of their Havoc! meh havov no more [;)] with these tc subs. Nice talking to you again Kramskoi, sorry about the tumult. BTW they did the magnet layout new for the adire drivers to actually cheapen production time as they share parts with each other. The Tumult just gets more magnets while the brahama sports the same looking motor.

IIRC, the Havoc has an xmax of about 20.5 mm. There was a huge debate about excursion during the preorder stage. I'm not too enamored with them, especially since they abandoned xbl^2 because of a spat with Adire Audio. A sad tale and regrettable for DIY...the avalanche series was "very" popular and cost effective. The newest line-up seems tailored toward car applications...except for the 18" alliance sub, which, i hear, probably won't see the light of day.

Soundsplinter is backordered on some of its drivers and so is Adire. These guys just can't seem to keep pace, especially Adire. I think Adire has put DIY on the back burner and is focusing on OEM and other specialty applications. A vacuum exists and someone will surely fill it...tc sounds probably realized this and decided to pounce.

Their driver selection is really extensive and they will still do custom work (for a price). If prices stay reasonable and supply meets demand, these dudes are set to give soundsplinter, adire and ascendant audio a black eye. I talked to a guy in Houston who waited 7 months for an Adire Brahma 15"!

This is unacceptable to say the least. If something happens with that driver, turnaround is 4-6 weeks "minimum". This is just not good customer service and in many ways it discourages sending these drivers back, not to mention having to pay shipping costs.

All i did to the Tumult was resolder the tinsel that was loose and vow not to push it past about 106 dB in the future. All i can say is that if this driver is xmech 44mm capable, then it should'nt be limited by the suspension/tinsel apparatus.

I'm still waiting on Dan Wiggins to answer my post about the different tinsel posts.

I don't see any numbers on the LMS-4100 Neo, only 700w rms and 34mm xmax, starting at $548. Perhaps you could elaborate on this. This seems like a good compromise between price and performance.

The RE XXX broke my heart. The xbl^2 version with 32mm xmax modeled extremely well but i think it's an older version. The new 54mm version retails for about $1600. And while it's nice to have a cutting edge driver, it's not cost effective. The tc-3000 seems like the best option for me as it stands currently...and a pretty good one i might add!

A dual LMS-5400 would indeed be a formidable setup for those among us with deep pockets. Let's wait and see the numbers when they come out.

The 400 oz magnet is scary. No way to truly tell what the effect will be on BL but i think it's safe to say that it will have high electrical damping (low qts) and may be tailored towards smaller enclosures. This is just a hunch though.

I keep having flashbacks about the rls-15 and what it could've been. At 2 cu. ft. internal, the rls-15 would have a Q of 1.4! and well beyond the hope of insulation or polyfill. A shame, hardly any damping at all (.9 qts.). So maybe they are trending toward smaller applications. Let's face it, size is a chief concern for most HT enthusiasts. They can now grab a share of both markets. I just hope that they can keep pace with demand. This is the shot in the arm that DIY desperately needs right now. ciao!

The LMS-4000 drivers are engineered strickly for

small sealed enclosures and designed with high power capabilities in

mind. We recommend an amplifier between 500 and 1000Watts RMS. If you

are interested in driver for a ported enclosure, please refer to the LMS-4100 NEO,

or use our forums to search or ask for about feasible ported designs

for the LMS-4000. For best results, you should spec your enclosure

design as closely to the recommended volume constrains and box

dimensions. It is strongly recommended that only included screws be

used for mounting purposes. For further subwoofer cabinet design

documentation, please refer to our web forums. The links below will

guide to you the documentation pertaining to the LMS-4000 cabinet

design.