5.1 compatible with 3-speaker set-up?

Heideana

Can anyone tell me if I can hook up a 5.1 pre-amp/receiver to 2 mains and a center speaker and get 3 channel sound by turning off the surrounds without losing material?

Silly question I suspect, but I don't know the answer and I'm trying to sort out the best way to add a center channel to my 2-channel system in my music room.

Yes, if you setup the receiver correctly, it will route the surround info to the front channels.

I moved 2 years ago, and went almost a year before reinstalling the surround speakers. In my opinion, they are the least important channels of 5.1, others may have different opinions. Unless they are used for effects, I never know they are on.

if your reciver has a surround mode called pro-logic or ac-3 AND you can turn off the rear speakers or indicate that none are installed, it should send AC-3 prologic to your mains and center. Most recivers have an indicator that shows the type of signal.

If your reciver can support 2 ohm load, another option is to review the DOPE from HOPE documents and take a look at the 3-channel mattrix config used by PWK. If you use the three channel matrick config, you would set your reciever to stereo, and follow PWK's instructions. DO NOT use 3 channel matrix if your reciver can not drive a 2 ohm load. you could blow your reciever.

if your reciver has a surround mode called pro-logic or ac-3 AND you can turn off the rear speakers or indicate that none are installed, it should send AC-3 prologic to your mains and center. Most recivers have an indicator that shows the type of signal.

If your reciver can support 2 ohm load, another option is to review the DOPE from HOPE documents and take a look at the 3-channel mattrix config used by PWK. If you use the three channel matrick config, you would set your reciever to stereo, and follow PWK's instructions. DO NOT use 3 channel matrix if your reciver can not drive a 2 ohm load. you could blow your reciever.

Yep... On the Yamaha receivers, for example, it's called Virtual DSP. Basically it adjusts your front and rear sound field using your center and main speakers if you don't have rear speakers installed.