New toys for the Home Theater and a long winded review

Northshore

As a prelude to my review of the new component pieces I would share that I have been an audiophile for some 26 years. From the time I bought a used pair of JBL L46s from my buddys Dad who had used them as studio monitors in his recording studio I have been hooked. My evolution of home theater started in 1995 when I bought a Pro logic Onkyo receiver for my apartment. So here I am today discussing my newest pieces which are an Arcam AVP700 pre-amp married with an Aragon 2007 amp. Prior to this setup I had an Adcom 860 Pre and Adcom 7607 amp which I thought was the (my) pinnacle of sound quality. Adcom products offer what I believe to be an excellent sound quality that I was quite happy with until some issues arose with longevity of the Pre-amp. Enter a set of circumstances that enabled me to replace these pieces with first the Arcam piece and then the Aragon amp.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The review, without all of the technical numbers of why and why not I can simply state that the Arcam is the next level of sound and performance in my particular setup. My system profile states the Klipsch setup and this review is based on that arrangement. The video side allows for Three component video inputs with a component out to my projector, the AVP700 does have the HDMI inputs and a HDMI output as well for future consideration. The audio side is fairly standard with the exception of having balanced XLR outputs that are currently not in use as the Aragon amp does not allow for this connection. The first thing I noticed was how silent the system was when idle, I am keenly aware of amp hum or white noise in any system and is a peeve of mine. I am a music lover but not a self proclaimed 2- channel follower as I enjoy the multi channel aspect of music and this piece delivers on all counts with dialog detail and music reproduction. For movies I look for not only quality but quantity and again the Arcam delivers great detail to all 7.1 channels.

I am in fear of running long here but I wanted to discuss the Aragon 2007 amp as well in this space. I read a lot of articles and reviews pertaining to this amp prior to making the purchase decision and almost all of the things I had read were favorable. With the Adcom 7607 I felt that I had adequate power (125 x 7) for all channels but the Aragon(200 x 7) changed that way of thinking. The first thing I noticed was the seemingly effortless way with which it handles the task I have assigned the amp. The other feeling I cannot quite describe is how it makes the room seem so open. One reviewer stated that the Aragon made his walls disappear I would agree with that statement. Some have argued the weight (49 lbs.) of the amp is not enough to be a quality piece but I would disagree. Dimensionally this boy is big, coming in at 9.25 inches tall coupled with a solid aluminum front plate highlighted with those blue LED's. Build quality is top notch and in my book high end for looks and sound quality. I hope this review helps others making similar decisions for upgrading your system.

Some have argued the weight (49 lbs.) of the amp is not enough to be a quality piece but I would disagree. Dimensionally this boy is big, coming in at 9.25 inches tall coupled with a solid aluminum front plate highlighted with those blue LED's. Build quality is top notch and in my book high end for looks and sound quality. I hope this review helps others making similar decisions for upgrading your system.

I guess I should just add some lead weights to my amp just to make it more heavier [;)] cause heavy is good right??? [:P]

7 days into ownership of the Arcam/Aragon and I have a few more insights to report. On the Arcam side I am impressed by the ease of setup and operation of virtually all of the features the unit has to offer. What is different from my previous Adcom Pre is that the volume indicator counts up instead of down, for example: the Adcom went from let's say -50db to the near reference level of -15db. The Arcam counts up with a maximum level of 100, coupled with the Aragon 2007, once I have reached 70 on the Arcam scale the level is reference level by most standards. I have a decent collection of DTS and THX test disc and quite a few movies so that I can challenge my system and so far the Aragon has yet to disappoint me on any front. I do understand the presence of other amps on the market that certainly cost more and weigh more but I will choose to remain ignorant with my bliss and enjoy the living hell out of the Aragon.