Allan - Helen Merrill Qs

laikadog

Thanks to your exposure, I've become a fan of Helen Merrill. Problem is, the vinyl is hard to come by. I've pretty much given up on HM with Clifford on Emarcy. They're all way too rich for my blood. Besides, I think it was you who mentioned that even the nm copies have a fair bit of surface noise. How is the reissue on Trip? We're talkin' fidelity, not collectibility.

How's the sound on the Mercury box set? I think I read it's been digitally remastered. Is this a huge detriment to the integrity of the original recordings? Is it worth it as a substitute to the originals, or should I just skip it and be patient trying to find originals or some other quality reissues?

I'm looking to find these records in this general order. If one were going to have five Helen Merrill's would you substitute any of these? Sorry for all the questions, but you da man on Ms Merrill.

Helen Merrill with Clifford Brown

Dream of You

You've Got A Date with the Blues

Nearness of You

Merrill at Midnight

The later "original" pressings on Mercury tend to sound better than the "drummer" lable issues due to higher quality vinyl (early Emarcys were pressed on styrene). I doubt any of the Emarcys with the "Mercury" label are worth more than $40-$50 EXCEPT for 36006 which might run $100 or so. On ebay, of course, ANYTHING is possible!

The Trip reissue sounds great--that's the one Gary has. CHEAP!

The MetroJazz record isn't all that hard to find--you can get a mint one for $50 tops.

The Japanese reissues and the box-set sound just fine. Pick them up and enjoy them until you score an original and then sell them.