TWEETER BUZZ

mmiles

For months I had buzzing in the tweeter in the left surround (and a very small amount in the right surround).

The problem could be one of many things such as: amp channel, prepro output, speaker cable, interconnect cable to prepro, AC or the tweeter itself.

Now that the wife has moved out and my free time is no longer occupied with sex I thought I'd some troubleshootiing.

It turns that even with the speaker not plugged into the amp it still buzzes somewhat (about 3 - 6 dB less than with all components connected).

So is it a.) bad tweeter or b.) speaker wire in line with AC and dirty dimmer? If it is b.) that would be a bummer to fix at this stage. I could always pull the speaker out of the wall and see then disconnect the speaker terminals but I seriously doubt that it is the tweeter.

Thoughts and comments?

Regards,

Mike

For months I had buzzing in the tweeter in the left surround (and a very small amount in the right surround).

The problem could be one of many things such as: amp channel, prepro output, speaker cable, interconnect cable to prepro, AC or the tweeter itself.

Now that the wife has moved out and my free time is no longer occupied with sex I thought I'd some troubleshootiing.

It turns that even with the speaker not plugged into the amp it still buzzes somewhat (about 3 - 6 dB less than with all components connected).

So is it a.) bad tweeter or b.) speaker wire in line with AC and dirty dimmer? If it is b.) that would be a bummer to fix at this stage. I could always pull the speaker out of the wall and see then disconnect the speaker terminals but I seriously doubt that it is the tweeter.

Thoughts and comments?

Regards,

Mike

I may have missed it...what type of speakers we talking about?

IRONWOODS,

Thanks for the reply. If so, it must be at the speaker end since the "business end" of the speaker wire is not connected to the amp and the buzzing still exist.

My hope is a sloppy terminal connection on my part or maybe just touch up the solder points on the speaker terminals. If not, the speaker wire is picking up some sort of interference from the AC line/s. I can get under the house and re-route but if the problem is in the wall cavity then I'm SOL as I see it.

Regards,

Mike

You could try jamming some insulation up and below the wall cavity, but I would suspect the unpowered buzz has to do with the tweeters themselves. Have you inspected them closely and removed from the wall? Listen in the open air so as to eliminate any possibilities of wall vibrations. Only then, can you procede with the demolition of each wall progressively. [;)]

If you hear buzz from tweeters it is not defective tweeters. It's induced signal flow from some electromagnetic induction. Check for nearby wiring or AC appliance in proximity to the speaker or the speaker wiring.