Replacement for the THX Ultra 2 system

InPhase

Hi everyone,

I have been interested in this system for almost a year and think I'm about to get it. I noticed that it has been around for a few years. I know most manufacturers make small adjustments to their products, especially if it has been around as long as this one has, but has anyone heard of a 'new' version of this system coming? I would hate to buy it now, and then have Klipsch release a replacement for the system in the near future. Anyone? Thanks!

Well...since Klipsch has been building some of their models continuously for...what...50+ years, I think you probably have some time. Unlike a lot of other company who depend on bringing out new products every year or so to boost sales...Klipsch relies on the quality of their product to generate sales. The THX Ultra 2 is such an overwhelming success that I don't believe you'll see any replacement...you'll see additional add on product to the line (such as the EXTREMELY imminent THX Ultra 2 in-walls. Also, guys like me have been asking for a larger version of the L/C/R...or even a floor standing model for larger theater spaces.

Besides which...if you bought an Ultra 2 package today and Klipsch pulled a fast one and something new came out in 6 months...you still would have an unbelievably awesome speaker package on your hands.

I am fairly certain after spending all last week in Hope and talking

with engineers getting inside info on new products that there won't be

any big changes to the Ultra2 lineup whatsoever. Meeting the Ultra2

spec is extremely expensive and hard to do and Klipsch really has

poured forth a lot of cool engineering into their design. As the

soundbroker mentioned, the only thing definetly coming out is the new

inwalls which won't have the typical performance reduction that most

inwall speakers have.

If in the severe off chance that something new comes out, it will most

certainly be a timbre match to the "old" version and therefore should

be a relatively inexpensive drop-in replacement. And by that time there

will probably be more channels available (say 13.1) in which case

you'll be able to recycle the old speakers because you'll need them anyway.

The Ultra2 system is by no means an inexpensive endeavor so allow me to

ask what kind of acoustical treatment and room you will be putting

the system in? The speakers sound fine outta the box, but really shine

when implemented in a good envrionment. If money is an issue I would

even suggest toning it down a bit (perhaps less channels) and make sure you get the room right

first.

Time flies but the Ultra 2 system has not been available very long. It came to market barely 2 years ago. We are not even close to revising any part of it.

Thanks for all the information, everyone. That makes me feel much more confident. BobG, I assume you work for Klipsch? That is great to hear straight from the company. Have you heard of a floorstander version coming? Thanks

people ask for the floorstanding model But I doubt it will be so. Since the THX Ultra 2 was meant for either placed on the stands or in the wall. That is why they have to be front ported as with the subwoofer because many customers wanting the theater look will hide their speakers in the wall. As with a floorstander it makes it that much more difficult. Also there really is no need as the front channel speakers can handle frequencies down to 43 hertz but the fact that THX crosses as 80 diminishes any real reason to go below that which a floorstanding speaker might provide.

people ask for the floorstanding model But I doubt it will be so. Since the THX Ultra 2 was meant for either placed on the stands or in the wall. That is why they have to be front ported as with the subwoofer because many customers wanting the theater look will hide their speakers in the wall. As with a floorstander it makes it that much more difficult. Also there really is no need as the front channel speakers can handle frequencies down to 43 hertz but the fact that THX crosses as 80 diminishes any real reason to go below that which a floorstanding speaker might provide.

Reason to do a larger version or a floorstanding version is to fill larger spaces. There are people with very big spaces that the KL650's are on the edge in. I have an 8000 ft3 demo room and I have clients with even larger spaces. Besides which...if there was a KL-6500 that had two of the Ultra 2 sub drivers, two of the 6" midrange drivers and the compression driver in one box...who here wouldn't lust after them?

Dang, with 8000 ft3 you're almost better off going with 'small' cinema speakers...what is that, 25x35x9?

I don't think the Ultra2 specs calls for / allows a floorstanding type speaker...I need to go look it up again, but can't find the bloody site.

I was thinking about that but I thought since most people run the main speakers large anyway that there might be a perception that they might not sound as what most people are atuned to. LaScalas for music but they might be better alternatives for home speakers hence the cornwall or klipschorn

If the Ultra2's aren't going to keep up in a room, then the Cornwalls aren't going to keep up either. And I'd argue the khorns sound way better in a smaller room than a big room.

The lascalas on the other hand sound better the further away you get from them - sweetest spot being about 30 feet away.

And the people running "large" on every speaker probably don't have a very good subwoofer setup...though I could see hooking up multiple Ultra2 subs throughout the room as an argument for "surround bass" and potential for a lot more sales [;)]