Questions about Prologic II

belial

I want to buy a new receiver, and am debating whether I should insist on Prologic II.

I don't care about using it with CDs--plain old stereo sounds just fine to me, thanks--but with videotapes and television, it is a different story.

I have read that Prologic II can deploy surround sound on a regular stereo source. Is this true? What about on a mono source?

Second question: I get some TV channels through an outdoor antenna and plain old antenna wire attached to my TV. But even when I know some shows are broadcast in surround sound (ER or The Simpsons, for instance) the effects of regular Prologic on my (cheap) Yamaha receiver aren't very impressive. Most of the sound comes through the center channel with some faint bleeding out to the lefts and rights.

Is this my receiver, or the fact that I am getting the signal through an antenna and not cable? What do you think?

in order to have pro-logic OR dolby pl-2 you must have a stereo source. in n.o.la., fox 8 and abc 26 are too damn cheap to transmit in stereo, thus no s.s. Frown.gif

the cable co.just re-broadcasts those stations'antenna transmissions, so no stereo there either. find out :1.if the local stations are in stereo,2. if you've got a stereo path from your source (ie:tuner) to your receiver. you may want to hook up to the stereo out from your tv OR vcr to assure a stereo signal when it is present in the broadcast.

i sell integra by onkyo for great prices...less than others sell the onkyo std.-line equivalent,but can't sell to outside areasFrown.gif i should be able to sell yamaha to you, go to: www.yamaha.com if anything interests you, let me know. dpl 2 makes ANY STEREO signal into 5 full-range channels. avman: www.noav.com

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 32"tv and sharp xv-z1u lcd projector

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Hey, avman, I'll check your site out!

Got to say though, my current receiver is a Yamaha-HTR 5240, and I'm not too happy with it, because it provides plenty of hiss in 5.1 mode. It is however, a pretty low down on their line (I only paid $270 for it!), so I'm sure their more expensive receivers are a lot better.

Thanks for your respones!