mixing pro audio with HiFi

Dax617

I have a mackie vlz 14 as a pre amp going into a behringer super-x pro cx 3400 crossover and then into a pair of Dynaco Mark III's and a Velodyne sub. Both the crossover and the mixer allow for unbalanced connections and there should not be an impedance mismatch. However the output of the crossover is max +20Dbm. Will this over drive the inputs of the Dynacos?

Thanks T.C.

I cannot answer your question directly except to say this. Many of us here use mixes of pro and consumer gear in our massive setups. I personally know of several who have seen impedence mismatches between say, sub outs from a Dolby Receivers and the inputs of a pro amp they are using for a subwoofer system.

So it follows that the reverse of this might hold true in your case. Whether it would damage the amp or just sound distorted and horrible I cannot say.

Someone with more knowledge should pop along momentarily.

Michael

Just keep the volume down on the Dynacos when you power your setup for the first time. Start a CD playing, make sure the mixer and crossover or working and then slowly turn up the volume. If it gets loud very fast and distorts then you're overloading your inputs and will need to adjust your gain stage accordingly.

As long as you don't start with full out insane volume you should have no risk of breaking anything.