EAC help???

I decided to rip my CD collection over to a hard disk using EAC as uncompressed files and move towards using the files for playback. I'm not interesed in ripping new cd's, but would like to determine the best way to extract cd's so I have all the album information. Should I extract cd's as a single wav file with a cue file or as individual wav files? I'll probably use Windows Media Player 10 and seem to have a problem getting the album/artist info to showup with EAC extracted files....

You will probably want to find a file format other than wav. One of the limitations of the wav file format is it does not have any tagging cappabilities. You could put the album/artist information in the file name as a workaround however you will not be able to embed any of the information into the file like it sounds you would like to do. I would suggest using a lossless file format such as flac or wma lossless. Either of these formats will sound identical to the wav file but will take up less hard drive space and allow you to tag the files. a good place to find information of the different file formats and setting up EAC is hydrogenaudio.org. As for ripping to a single file or individual tracks most people rip to a single files for backing up their music and individual files if they are going to use them for play back. A lot of the available players do not recognize cue sheets so if you rip to a single file you may be limited in how you can play them.

Hi and thanks for replys guys.

I'd already set-up EAC for FLAC per hydrogenaudio reccomendations, but was very confused about how to save files. The CUE files didn't seem to be any help, but just selecting all the tracks on a CD and copying them to my HD with hydrogenaudio recs gave me artist folders with album title sub-folders that had all the tracks saved as wav files with all the artist, track and album info in the name of the file. Or I could save the album as a single file with the CUE sheets that didn't seem to do anything in EAC. When I play the files back with WMP, its' a bit tricky trying to navigate playing "albums" without what I understand are tags in either size file.

My real goal is to start loading all my cd's onto HD so I can put together a digital music server down the road. It seemed that EAC was the best tool to use for copying CD's if I want to make sure I have an exact copy for future use since it seemed you could output the EAC files into whatever format you wanted down the road. I've been saving as uncompressed files using secure mode...

Any thoughts/suggestions greatly appreciated!

Might I suggest to go ahead and rip to the multiple subfolders and all

that...then simply don't use windows media player as the playback

program. Something like Winamp works much nicer and you can cue up an

entire folder including all of it's subfolders (just right mouse click

the folder and select "enque folder" and it throws it in the playlist).

It's a much easier way to store your data and then you can mess with

the internal "media libraries" in your playback program and organize

everything there as well. When set up right everything is but one click

away.