Windows 98's Volume Controls: CD Digital & Digital Output Only?

ant

I am not an audiophile so I am a newbie with this sound card and audio stuff. Can anyone please tell me what these two volume control options are for? "Digital Output Only" is located in Windows 98's Volume Controls' Advanced Controls. I have the original Klipsch ProMedia 4.1 speaker set (v.2-400). Did I hear that these options are only for digital speakers and not analog speakers like Klipsch ProMedia? Someone else told me that all speakers are digital including mine. Is that true? I am very confused. I have a Sound Blaster Live! Platinum (4 speakers) and not using the LiveDrive (not installed).

I tried checking on "Digital Output Only" and I noticed my volume and bass is lowered. I heard I am supposed to get improved sound/music. Fiddling with "CD Digital" doesn't seem to change anything even when it is muted. Am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for a reply. Smile.gif

------------------

Ant @ The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org)

ok. your friend is not correct. ALL SPEAKERS END UP ANALOG. your ears can not hear 11010100101000101010010100101001001 so it makes it into soemting audible, sound waves which are analog. you need to keep your sound cards set to digital only off, uncheck the box.

the only advantage to "digital speakers" is most have an external decoder for DD 5.1 and some even DTS and you have one cord from teh computer instead of 2 or 3 and you lessen the chance of hiss. the klipsch's are analog from the input to the ouput, "digital" speakers are digital from the input and analog form the output.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

Justin, my friend replied after he saw your reply:

"The problem is that this person thinks that

I'm talking about data that exists as 1s and 0s. That's not to question...everything on a hard drive or CD or DVD IS 1s and 0s.

When you play as digital from a CD, I was referring to exact CD decoding...no Sound Card sampling as input-output. The person who wrote that IS correct. Digital input, analog output...there is no other option. Digital output means "output to decoder digitally" from the source. Not converted from the source and output as analog. Of course, sound IS NOT as simple as 1's and 0's...nor is it "analog". What is XM? For that matter, what is FM? AM? They are digital signals (complex waves)...the sounds themselves are digital signals!! Our ears take them in and our brains decode them."

------------------

Ant @ The Ant Farm -- http://antfarm.home.dhs.org

XM is satellite radio. what I meant was that some ppl think that digital speakers are light years ahead of the analog ones. some think this because they know that the CD is SOOOOOOO much better than cassette and the DVD is waayyyyyyyyyyy better than the VHS. but digital speakers end up analog, that was my point.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665