NEC Projector Questions

Hey Guys,

I was recently given a large collection of various electronics, both music and computer related.

One is an NEC LT158 LCD Projector, in unknown condition. I don't have a power cord yet to test, it takes those 3 prong ones that some satellite boxes use (DirecTV H10 and H20). Before I power it up, I just wanted to ask if there was anything else I should check out first, to eliminate and possible problems? I only ask beause I hear a slight rattle inside, sounds like something is loose. I'm hoping it's not the bulb, or pieces of it! I checked on ebay, and saw the bulb is $372, so if the bulb's dead, I'm obviously not going to replace it.

Just wondered if it was okay to open something like this up?

-Jon

Hi Jon,

Where did you get it? do you have the manual?

I have an LT150 that I've been using for several years. I presume LT158 is similar. Turn it over, romeve the screw to the lamp compartment and pull out the lamp. See if it looks ok. When the lamp is removed, if there is still something loose inside, you might want to remove several screws holding the top cover to see if you can find the loose piece inside. Several years ago there were various posts on AVS forum about how to open and mod those units.

Good luck,

Kudrret

It came up as part of a lot on Freecycle, which I belong to. I responded just 20 minutes after the ad was posted, as I happened to check my e-mail. Included were various computer parts (two mice, one wireless, removable hard drive, cables, etc.) and some really old MIDI event processors that I have no idea how to use. Also an old original Midiverb.

I don't have the manual, but found one online for it. I'll consult the manual about the bulb.

-Jon

I checked the bulb, and everything appears fine, however, all the screws are missing for the outer cover. It's obviously been taken apart, which suggests a problem. The manual states that after 1600 hours, it will shut down, and refuse to power up. This is done to indicate the bulb needs replacement. It is possible this is what happened, in which case it's dead. I'll have to see what happens when I get a power cord.

-Jon

Kudret,

I just got a power cable today from Radio Shack. I'll fire it up tonight and let you know what happens. I got ahold of a manual, and NEC cautions that if the bulb is used for too long after it's recommended life that it could shatter inside the projector. Does this seem likely?

I don't have the remote, so I'll have to use the buttons on the top to navigate the menus. I'm hoping I can see the hours on the bulb meter without having to reset it. Honestly, I'd be surprised if it works. Then if it DOES work, I have to figure out how the heck I'm gonna fit it in my place. The smallest image it can draw is 60", and I don't have a screen, so that means shooting it on my wall, which fortunately is painted white. It will definetly require some major moving around of equipment to eliminate obstructions for an image that size.

I'll keep you updated..

-Jon

Hey Guys,

I powered up the projector a few days ago, and it's really messed up! Hence why I got it for free I suppose. Anyway, I get bright white, and some magenta on the bottom, and some yellow at the top. The status and power lights blink red and orange, and the buttons on top don't respond. Depending on how I hold it, the magenta and yellow colors move around, and the image changes from square to trapezoidal. So, the optics are really loose, or broken inside. The bulb itself is fine, but it appears the LCD section is really messed up, so I think it's most likely done. I sure don't have the skills to work on something like this. Anyone ever successfully fixed an LCD projector? I'm guessing the parts and labor would be more than it's worth?

-Jon

Hi Jon,

What a bummer! Sorry, my expertise ends here. You might want to post on AVSforum to see if you can get any help. Several years ago there were many posts and detailed instructions about opening them up and modding them.

Kudret