I have 2 questions about Studio Monitors (& Kilpsch sub)

djbeatz

Pretty soon I will be buying studio monitors, which are pretty much the last thing I need to buy for my DIY studio.

The models that I am considering are: JBL LRS 4328, Mackie HR824, Event ASP8, DynAudio BM15a, and DynAudio BM6a.

I have 2 questions however:

Could foam-filled cabinets (such as Mackie HR824s) ignite or overheat?

Can any of the aforementioned studio monitors be paired with my Klipsch Promedia 2.1 or 5.1 sub?

I highly doubt they would put foam in the speaker if there was risk of overheating/ignition [;)]

As far as your promedia sub...yes, it could be used in conjuction with the monitors you end up with. No, it would not be beneficial.

I'm not arguing with you here, but I was told that it's best to use a sub to reproduce lower frequencies, because it takes the load off of the low-end drivers of the monitors.

Someone once put it to me like this: "Just because a monitor's low-end driver can reproduce 35Hz, doesn't mean it SHOULD."

Please let me know if there is any truth to this.

It's not beneficial? Is that because multimedia subs aren't meant to sound "flat," so it defeats the purpose of using one?

I totally agree that the use of a sub is the ideal approach...but the promedia sub would result in a huge reduction of sound quality. It is nowhere near flat and distorted as all heck.

If you wanted, it probably wouldn't hurt to use the promedias as a reference setup (like sub+sats).

Good point!

BTW, could there be any dangers using this approach?...

Simply connect my monitors to the "Front L/R" channels on my soundcard, and connect the Promedia System (sub -AND- sats) to the "Rear L/R" channels.

Then I could just turn off the Promedia system when mixing/mastering, and turn off the monitors when "referencing" the mix, to hear how it'd sound on an "average listener's" system.