Cone driven midhorns?

freddyi

probably best to sit on top of stuff. IIRC< my Klipschorns sounded pretty good with Edgar's 250hz tractrix with JBL LE5 and T35 using K33E/K43 type and 2220H. Only certain drivers work and Z peak compensation needs to be addressed in some cases. My experience is limited. Distortion on low end seems good with cone. What has worked for you?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Vocals with vinyl were good with System 100 and my ugly DIY SET

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

no. out of those pix all I built was the SET amplifier. Bruce Edgar built the 100Hz hyperbolic and 250Hz tractirix horns. wish I had a saw and space to do passible work

btw - thse hyperbolic horn and tractirx would be easy projects as a trapezoidal jig would hold flat top and bottom plates with slats forming the expansion.

the trax is 250Hz brough out IIRC from a 2.5" x 2.5" throat and truncated a bit from the mouth end to lmiit wdith to ~18". The 100Hz shells are probalby m=0.55, path from 80sq.in/ throat ~20.5" and mouth ~20.5x20.5. inroom they seemed about 106-108 or so with 2220H

the only plywood I've runed lately with circular saw and lopsided jigsaw is for this - stull gotta cut hole for tweeter - probalby will get

CTS 1005 in favor over Audax Ti bullet or APT50

Posted Image

I have installed JBL 3632's which use two 6" cone midhorns (larger versions have four drivers). We crossed these over at 313 Hz and just under 2 kHz on the top end. The setup tuned in quite well with the crossover points blending smoothly. The end result was a very natural smooth mid range with no loss in dynamics or gain in distortion. IMHO JBL did their home work. This approach has much merit.

As power handling and/or distortion is at times an issue (diaphragm excursion) for some compression drivers below say 400 Hz, the cone driven mid-horn makes sense. Not to mention the physical size of a proper horn. In the case of folded bass horns such as the Klipschorn isn't the upper end falling off around 300 or 350 Hz?

Just a suggestion for taking measurements...

Set the enclosure outside on the ground (away from any vertical surfaces ) in a Large drive or area such as a parking lot.

Lay your measurement microphone flat on the ground. In this way you will effectively 'eliminate' (minimize) the ground plane reflections that result in the comb filtering that is evident in the measurements.

Don Keele developed that technique and it sure saves allot of additional effort that would ordinarily be required to accomplish the same results any other way!

An interesting thread...