A Gazillion CD's & DVD's -- Time for a Server?

Chris Robinson

250 gig for external costs 250? or an internal.

Internal should be around 40 cents per gigabyte

External should be around 80 cents per gigabyte

The funny thing is you can buy an external enclosure for around 25 dollars and put whatever internal drive into the enclosure and undercut all external enclosures.

I was gonna say! Just this past weekend, I managed to score a Western Digital 320 gig harddrive for only $100 at the local Best Buy. And on top of that, I also manged to score a Maxtor 100 gig external USB drive for a mere $53! I am using the external drive at work, since that crappy PC that they gave me only has a 20gig harddrive. By the time I loaded all the development software that I needed on there (not to mention the OS itself), I had less than 5 gigs left. Not much room to put all my project files and such.

The 320 gig drive went into my server, bringing that up to nearly a full terabyte of storage on-line. I've ripped a lot of my material to the server, especially music. I then can then stream it back via a Roku SoundBridge M1000 device. Seems to work quite nicely, and does sound good as well. I also store my documents, pictures, and so forth on the server as well. I also have it on a UPS to protect it from power failures and such.

Very nice, I to just brought a 320 giga hd from newegg.com It was the new seagate 320 gig perpendicular hard drive (supposedly maximizes surface area to have more hd room, they sell a 750 gig hd version)

Skonopa you know you can open that external hd and just put in another 3.5" hd if you find that 100 gig too small or if it breaks.

Very nice, I to just brought a 320 giga hd from newegg.com It was the new seagate 320 gig perpendicular hard drive (supposedly maximizes surface area to have more hd room, they sell a 750 gig hd version)

Skonopa you know you can open that external hd and just put in another 3.5" hd if you find that 100 gig too small or if it breaks.

Cool, so those harddrives with the perpendicular maganatism are indeed shipping! I've been hearing that the amount of capacity they can get out of those is staggering. Will not be to long before seeing iPods with 300+ gig capacity, and terabyte drives will be come common place in typical desktop machines (and I remember how I thought a gigabyte was huge!)

I knew I could take apart those external drives and replace the harddrive in it. In fact I actually thought of putting the 320 gig drive in it and just sticking the 100 gig drive in the server. Right now it is not necessary for me to do so, as I have a spare enclosure (A pretty nice aluminum one, which can be opened just by thumbscrews - actually paid more for just this enclosure than I did for that entire 100 gig drive - $60 at a local computer shop about a year ago!), that is currently containing an old 18 gig drive. If I needed a larger external drive (plus I also have 160 gig Maxtor One-Touch that I had for a couple of years), I'll just use that enclosure. But at $53, I could not pass that 100 gig drive up!

Yes they are shipping, the biggest is 750 gigabyte hd for around 499 which is pretty cheap for the amount you get. Also what is nice about them is the 16 meg cache. I had to get the ata version due to my older computer but I believe serial it is one of the fastest hd out there. Also the drive is very quiet. I can hear the fan over the hd even when it is writing. Which means I cannot hear the hd at all......

I think they are implementing that technology so far on 3.5 inch and 1.8 inch laptop hard drives. The iPod uses a derivation of a laptop hard drive but they choose not to go beyond 60 gigs for now. I think its due to the fact that many people are happy with mp3s..... and most will not use uncompressed or lossless quality songs due to the fact they can't hear the difference. So far the laptop hd is 120 or 160 gigabytes??? I think. And the ipod is still 60. Maybe in September when macworld happens.

I've got my machine dual booting into XP and FreeBSD and for the life of me I can't find any good dvd playback software. I suppose it's only a matter of time - it took me 2 months to find amarok and get it running.

I'm thinking of switching over to Suse Linux which is supposed to be more geared for home computing and multimedia.

Another problem with the big ones is that sometimes there is inadequate cooling provided. Photographers have been stacking these babies up for the past few years and we've found that 200gb is optimal.

There is a newer design that stands endwise with lots of cooling holes called Mybook by Western Digital firewire drive 500GB for $249 with rebate.

Sony still makes them, they hold 400 cd's or DVD's. They are about 3-400 bucks, I am also thinking of getting one. They get pretty good reviews so I would look into that. The people who don't like them complain about features or lack there of but for $400 Vs sveral grand for the hard drive based players I can live with it.

Good Luck

the biggest is 750 gigabyte hd for around 499 which is pretty cheap for the amount you get.

bear in mind, Jay ...

when the drive crashes, it's gonna lose a Ton of music

personally, i won't go bigger than 200 gig for that reason

adequate fan ventilation and trusting good companies is all. Seagate I found from personal experience servicing computers at a retail store are the unscientifically the best to me. And it also has a good 5 year warantee. Also always backup important stuff!

Why would photographers have their back-up drives running all the time?!? The purpose of a backup is to have a copy available in the off-chance something were to go wrong with the original. One of the most common things to go wrong comes from the power source (brown-outs, lightning etc etc...). The last thing you want is both the active and backup copies to break at the same time. [:o]

In situations where there is a lot of storage being accessed all the time and the data is very important a RAID setup is absolutely required. An entire harddrive can break and you don't lose any data. For backups I would look into a scheduled tape system (that way you're only backing up the changes - not everything everytime). Of course this costs a crap load of money - I wanna say the last data storage server my dad setup with 10 TB of storage cost around $75,000. But you can definetly do RAID for a lot cheaper as that system was total overkill (30 computers were working off that server at any one time).

As far as good brands...check out Lacie. They run very cool and are virtually silent. I've had no problems with their larger format drives for the last 5 years.

Lacies are fine but many customers warn of failure of drives. Check apple.com for the reviews. But also for backups as Drwho said should be backups and not on all the times. A cheaper way would be to buy an external harddrive case (around 30 dollars) and buy that 750 gig hard drive and plug it in when you want to backup and not when its not needed.