DVD HD

toomanyspeakers

Just wondered if anyone had a chance to try the new DVD HD format? Is the diference as much as between regular TV and HD TV?

I got to play with the Toshiba HD-DVD unit with the HD version of Serenity as well as Phantom of the Opera. Yes, the picture was just friggan incredible. The detail in the costumes on Phantom of the Opera was just stunning. Also the detail and clarity of the ships in Serenity really popped out as well. I was very tempted to take the plunge, but I am definitly still in a "wait-and-see" mode on these new formats, as well as perhaps waiting the price drop some (at least for me, once it gets below $300, I'll probably buy in). But the technology still seems to be in a flux, with the ongoing format war and such, plus I am not exactly to happy with all the ridiculous DRM schemes and the like that are being planned and/or implemented. If that is the one thing that'll keep me from buying - it is the retarded DRM. Again, I am waiting and seeing just how this all pans out over the next year or two before I bite, plus as my TV only has a DVI and no HDMI, I am a bit concerned about how this will work, as I am not about to spend anymore money on a new TV, especially as I really like the one I have now, and considering how much I paid for it, thus have no desire to replace it anytime soon.

Dan,

HD DVD has the best HD picture available today. How good it looks is a function of the size and quality of your display and the quality of the transfer. Some HD DVDs are better than others.

The sound is also improved with DD+ and Dolby TrueHD lossless sound. Rumor has it that firmware v. 2.0 will enable 5.1 lossless sound in time for October releases by Universal.

The next generation of machines is likely to be out next year and will be easier to use than the first generation machines that are Pentium based computers without hard drives.

Early adopter types like the Toshiba machines for the most part. Toshiba has good support so far. but the machines have needed it.

Bill

since the initial HD DVD players are pentium based computers, has anyone heard of anybody upgrading the RAM on these HD DVD players? I wonder if it will improve the rumored long loading time that these machines have? Maybe it will even slightly improve the machine picture quality as well?

The RAM on the Toshiba has been replaced by a few people. More RAM may increase loading timen not decrease it. It is used in part to act as a five second buffer to eliminate layer changes. Five seconds of the loading time is used to load the buffer. After you hit stop, the Toshiba plays for five seconds to clear the buffer.

The Toshiba has great video capability, but is a bit clunky for operation. About the third generation will have the bugs out IMO. Later generations will add features. Prices of HD DVD will never go as low as SD DVD IMO, due to the royalties that will have to be paid on the patents and the more expensive hardware requirements.

Bill