Maintenance on cone driver surrounds?

cmdridq

The cone drivers in my RF3-II speakers are suspended by some kind of black rubbery material. I have had other speakers (Infinity & AR) that experienced dry rot of their cone driver surrounding material and eventually needed it to be replaced. Is there anything that can or should be done to help preserve and maintain this part of the speaker? Maybe some kind of preservative like that which is used on car dashboards or something?

If I'm not mistaken, the RF-3II is using a rubber surround which doesn't have the same dry-rot issues of the typical foam surround. I don't think there is anything preventative you can do anyway - even if it were an issue (which I don't think it is).

without knowing the exact chemical makup of the rubber surrounds, I'd be afraid that applying anything (mink oil, silicone) while trying to defend against drying and cracking, might actually chemically break down the rubber and lead to exaggerated cracking and drying.

Doc is right, the modern materials are far superior to the old foam-roll surrounds, leave em alone!

M

They are I believe rubber butheryl. Meaning that if you apply certain oils, think along the lines of kitchen and such and it will break it down. I believe mineral oil is safe for rubber. Remember just like condoms, any lubricant that is not oil based can wear it down fast! [:P]

Mink oil is probably ok though.