Pre amp kit

Dylanl

Solen coupling capacitors come with the kit, although the builder is free to use whatever type he/she may prefer. For experimentation, I would suggest using one of the screw mounts for the PCB as a mounting point for a terminal strip that can be used to audition different caps. The solder pads should not be soldered and desoldered multiple times while one is tearing one's hair out (if one happens to have a tendancy for that sort of thing) over the best cap to use. The PCB can be damaged in the process.

Erik

It's all subjective.

Foreplay: I built the stock factory kit nearly 10 years ago, and after that time numerous interpretations of it on my own -- both in the stock chassis, as well as in simple Bud or Hammond boxes. I also experimented with tube rectification (which if I remember right is what's now offered with the kit), but preferred the far less expensive and cooler running SS full-wave bridge. I also quickly added a DC heater supply, since I found it a little prone to hum with AC heaters. All of that may have changed with the newer versions of the kit.

The kit was much less expensive back then. I also got the Anticipation upgrade (see the Bottlehead site for further info on that -- if it's still availabe), and I found it sounded horrible. Honestly, it was not to my liking in the least. It was like an audio steroid injection that to me made music sound highly forced, too bright, overbearing, and harsh; and I'm one who likes detail...............just not harshness. I should probably have given it a better chance, but took the circuit (advertised as an 'upgrade') out shortly after.

We also found the the preamp to be very, very sensitive in terms of volume control rotation, and many tried padding that down, both with series resistance on the input as well as output. Lots of guys came up with ideas for snubbers to quiet hum, and I think what was needed was DC in that case. It just required the addition of an extra filament transformer and rectifier/filter circuit.

All of the above notwithstanding, the Foreplay is a great kit for the learner/tweaker. Compared to the GG mentioned above, one will get better practice with wire stripping and point-to-point wiring. It is also a good sounding preamp if the builder takes his/her time with each stage of the construction process -- and follows the instructions for testing very, very carefully.

Erik

I built Hagerman's Clarinet and have been happy with it. One of the things that I like about Hagerman's "kits" are that you decide what components you want to purchase. He sells you a pcb, a recommended parts list (usually a combo of digikey and AES). You can buy what's recommended or change as you like without having to pay for a kit part and then buy what you want. He's a good engineer, makes a good pcb, and ships quickly.

Yo!

It's cooling off for fall up here in NW PA. I have had a Bottlehead Foreplay III on order for a few weeks now. We should get together and listen to it once I get it put together. Meantime, I"ve been trrying out new tubes in the line stage of my Dynaco PAS 2 with Curcio Mods and that's keeping things fun for the moment.

George

"The kit version of the Merlin is called Merlin II. It has all the features of a PEACH and then some: It has 4 mode operation - HiZ, LowZ, HT Bypass, and BufferOnly. It will be using 6H30 tubes. I know of no other product quite like it for configureability. It does have the same three-way volume-balance-dual level controls as the Peach/BlueBerry. It has 2 possible power supplies both with tube rectifiers, one is huge and the other is huger. It will have panel mounted gold RCA like the Tercel. And the appearance will be just like the new Tercel shown below. Base price about $499 like the Tercel. Optional caps, PSU etc.
md "

Then IMO the Tercel is probably among the best bangs for the dollar available in a kit -- with vacuum tube rectification for those who want that; pretty hard to get into at that price point with the features listed. The amount of work involved to install input level controls on the GG would have made it considerably more expensive than it actually was, which in that case gives the Tercel the upper hand.

Rubber grommet in the hole for protection of transformer leads? [;)]

Very nice, and the looks got a big thumbs up from my wife. As you know, she loved the Peach, both in terms of performance and appearance.

Will a schematic for the Tercel ever be available, Mark?

Erik

George, I would like to hear your new pre. I was also thinking of upgrading the Dynaco PAM 1's I have but have little experience in that field. The pam 2 are just 2 Pam 1's put together from what I have seen. The one thing I like about the older pre amps is the loudness switch. It seems to give the music feeling especially at low volumes. I think with a newer more linear preamp I will loose that effect. I may not like it based on setting the Pams flat and the Scotts I have just leaves me wanting more. I know many will frown on this but it really does sound better with the switch on to me at least.

George, how far are you from Pittsburgh? Please email me at Artvandelay1@verizon.net

How about one of the Mapletree Audio kits. I was looking for a preamp

kit to build and a forum member sold me mine which was factory built. I

like mine very much but being a junior here with no other comparisions

to go by I can't really vouch for it as opposed to others. I'm really

interested in the Merlin2 myself. I am also interested in the Juicy

Music amplifier kit as well. Probably even more so. Mark

Mark,

I think the Merlin II sounds great but detail the differences between it and your new integrated amp kit offering. How do the preamp stages compare between the two. What does the integrated amp buy me? You know me, I enjoy the details and contemplating this stuff. I am really going back and forth whether to place my order for the Merlin II and start looking for monoblocks or just go with the integrated amp kit.

You are designer... talk to us man.