Sony SACD Multi-Channel Super CD

soundog

I just got the Sony CE775 Super Audio Multi-Channel CD Player along with several multi-channel CDs (Billy Joel - The Stranger; Earth, Wind & Fire - Gratitude; Joshua Bell - Bernstein: West Side Story Suite; and Weather Report). The last is a Telarc Jazz Hybrid Multichannel that will enable me to compare regular CD sound, CD sound upsampled to 24/96 and multichannel super CD sound. I also purchased a Blood, Sweat and Tears stereo Super CD (I have both the regular CD and the LP) for comparison purposes. I'm very familiar with the BST album because my cousin played in the group. This should keep me busy over the Thanksgiving Holiday. Initial reaction: they sound like LPs without the surface noise, a definite improvement over regular CDs. The CDs that I upsample through my Perpetual Technologies P1A and P3A DAC sound better in some respects but not in others. Considering the CDs are going through an optical connection to a very good DAC and jitter reduction treatment vs. the far cheaper internal DAC of the Sony and the absence of jitter reduction, I suspect the SACD would sound better in all respects than the regular digitally enhanced CDs if everything was equal. Both sound better than regular CDs, of course. However, when I play a multichannel through my Heritage surround system the effect is really dramatic. The question is will I prefer it to regular stereo over the long run. Stay tuned.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems