Renewing old crossover boards

Erik Mandaville

These are for our Heresies. I wasn't doing anything else this morning, so I thought I would make a new pair of crossovers. I installed a piece of veneer over the old boards to cover the old holes and make them look nice; gave a quick shot of clear, and then wired them up.

The old air cores measured slightly above and slightly below 1 ohm (that's for the two coils), and I wanted to improve the DCR and save a little money at the same time.

Time to put them in and listen to some music.

Erik

post-10533-13819311555588_thumb.jpg

Mahogany? boards...... wowee, or is that Oak veneer?

why the double-up caps? to get the requisite values in the brand you selected? And are those iron core inductors far superior to the ones used originally? Those are to filter the highs from the woofer, so seems like you'd want that BIG WIRE in there.

Shawn:

I bought the veneer to repair old clock cases, and it is tough stuff. It is the iron on type, with a very strong adhesive. It is on there to stay. I was going to paint it flat black to keep it more original looking, but thought the contrast was kind of neat. These are for Heresy Is.

Caps are just paralleled for the additive value -- easier to do with less expensive but decent capacitors.

Rick: I grabbed them off my workbench for the photo before we went out. Rushing stuff is never good. The networks are back in the cabinets, and I just have to finish the new leads to the drivers. I wanted to get them finished yesterday, but had too many other things to do.

Erik

I wanted to mention that the autoformers are from Bob. C. They are very well made, too! I found that the solder lugs for the different taps also had a thin coating of lacquer that I wanted to remove before making and soldering connections to them. For those who might be interested in a pair for a crossover project, you might want to check that, and remove the clear coat with an emery board or careful use of an x-acto knife.

Erik