Windows 98 replacement disc

Dirty

I want to format my computer, but I can not find my windows disc. frown.gif Is there anyway to get another disc from microsoft for free or $20 or less? Or and I know this sounds dumb, but this will be my first time ever formatting my disc, could I just install a windows 95 disc I have lying around and then "borrow" someone else's windows 98 disc and upgrade?

thanks

Here is what you do. You can borrow a Win95 or Win98 disk from a friend, then copy the respective win95/win98 directory to your hard drive. Whenever windows asks for the CD, point it there. All the files Windows will need are in the .CAB files, which is sort of like a zip file.

And microsoft wouldn't give you anything for free if their lives depended on it!

------------------

A cookie is just a cookie, but a Fig Newton is fruit and cake.

i have my doubts.

why do you think there's no copy protection on windows cds?

Microsoft obviously knows that a lot of people use windows without having bought it. but they still haven't implemented a copy protection other than a CD key. it's really easy to copy a windows cd, and then whenever you need the cd windows will gladly recognize the copied cd as the real one.

my theory is that microsoft wants windows to be used by as many people as possible (obviously), and they don't really care if they get the money for every single one of them, they care more about their monopoly. so they let people copy the cd because they know darn well that more people are going to go for windows if it's free to them (because it's so easy to copy), instead of going towards an open-based OS which is officially free.

makes sense? i think it's a smart scheme from microsoft...

------------------

'cuz nobody ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

Seb, you read my mind. One of my coworkers worked on a development group that pushed microsoft to have an open registry (an editable system.day vs. an encoded one) It kind of the same with DirectX. Its free, and everyone uses it, and Microsoft gets absolute total control over every user. People might actually think that their products are Good, just because everybody has them! :rolleyes !

------------------

I forgot the closing ':' on my smiley face! Yeah, so Its not really FREE, you give your soul to the DEVIL and submit to TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION. frown.gif Maybe that's going overboard...

------------------