Ebay day

Horatio

Hello:

These aren't mine (I have a set, running on top of a pair of University Classic bass horns, biamped, equalized. The sound is spectacular), but, for those willing to take a walk on the wild side, behold:

http://cgi.ebay.com/EV-Electro-Voice-HR9040A-2-sound-PA-horns-empty-pair_W0QQitemZ160044927252QQihZ006QQcategoryZ47092QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lots cheaper than trying to find Altec 300-90's, and these will astound.

Need 1.4" drivers.

FWIW.

Here's the data. They're big: about 40" wide. That's about as wide as the long dimension of the University Classic, so, they work great on top of it. With a driver attached, they fit, depth-wise, within the depth of the University Classic design, also (not INSIDE the mouth of the Classic, but on top). Check out the stability of the polar response! That has audible consequences.

Can use EV DH-1012 drivers, which can be had for a decent price, and are pretty credible drivers (I use these instead of the 1506's to go down further in response).

HR9040A EDS.pdf

I don't know about the size of the Jub- the biggest problem with the HR9040 is the mouth size is very large- if the Jub is at least 40 inches wide, then, it'll go. Watch how tall the whole assembly gets, though; it'll be imposing. For reasons of domestic peace, I have the University Classics/HR9040's in the rec rooom, and the Khorns in the livingroom. My setup is a few inches taller than a Khorn, and about as wide.

Since the Jub crosses out much higher than the Khorn, you might want to look at the HR9040's little brother: HR90. Same horn, but good to 500 Hz, pattern controllled to about 800 Hz. This guy is well within the size constraints of a Khorn top (maybe a little taller, but not much).

Either can be used as two-way; they go up quite a ways with good drivers. May want some supertweeter on top, but, then again...

Thing to note: the HR series, like all CD horns, MUST be equalized in order to sound good (that is, the drivers' power response must be eq'D flat). I biamp, and the electronic crossover I use has the CD EQ built in (RANE AC23). Most prosound crossovers will have this on board.